The twenty best war movies, according to the Torygraph

Started by Alatriste, July 27, 2009, 07:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Alatriste

Another two votes for 'Platoon' and 'Das Boot'.

Stalingrad was... I don't know why, but it felt pointless, empty, and I guess no one has watched 'The Admiral'; perhaps a great movie, perhpas a bad movie, but anyway doesn't belong in this list, it's too recent.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Brain on August 01, 2009, 04:26:23 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 01, 2009, 03:47:42 AM
I've never actually watched "Platoon".

Then why are you insane?

Copy of the Necronimicon in the Elementary school library.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Iormlund

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 01, 2009, 06:52:32 AM

Nuclear war flicks are their own genre.

Speaking of nuke flicks, I caught Panic in Year Zero from 1962. Pretty dark for a flick from '62 on the effect on a family right after the nukes fly.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Cerr

Ok Das Boot now has 4 votes. The Admiral has none so far.

I think Platoon has enough votes now, if it doesn't I'll give it one so we can get it out of the way.

Josephus

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 31, 2009, 02:43:20 PM
Quote from: Caliga on July 31, 2009, 02:41:00 PM
I don't think she was nude, no.  IIRC she was actually wearing some sort of fur overcoat and parts of a German uniform during the scene.

Well, that sucks. A good rape scene makes me horny.

Speaking of....Who's your Avatar, Ed?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

The Brain

My vote is for sale in all votes in this thread. Offers?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

20. All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) / Lewis Milestone
19. The Dam Busters (1955) / Michael Anderson
18. The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) / David Lean
17. Ice-Cold in Alex (1958) / J. Lee Thompson
16. The Longest Day (1962) / Ken Annakin, Bernhard Wicki, Andrew Marton and Darryl F. Zanuck
15. The Great Escape (1963) / John Sturges
14. Zulu (1964) / Cy Enfield
13. Tora! Tora! Tora! (1970) / Richard Fleischer, Kinji Fukasaku and Toshio Masuda
12. Cross of Iron (1977) / Sam Peckinpah
11. The Deer Hunter (1978) / Michael Cimino
10. Apocalypse Now (1979) / Francis Ford Coppola
9. Platoon (1986) / Oliver Stone
8. Full Metal Jacket (1987) / Stanley Kubrick
5. Saving Private Ryan (1998) / Steven Spielberg
4. Black Hawk Down (2001) / Ridley Scott
1. The Admiral (2008) / Andrei Kravchuk
A Bridge Too Far
Glory
Patton
Gallipoli

Battle of Britain has died for lack of interest.  Platoon beat off the challenge from Stalingrad.  Das Boot is leading The Admiral 4-0.  If Das Boot doesn't get any more votes in 24 hours that challenge too will be considered dead.

Please, no new nominations until the current round of voting is complete.