What kind of limits should we put on Artificial Intelligences?

Started by jimmy olsen, July 26, 2009, 10:04:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saskganesh

Quote from: Siege on July 26, 2009, 04:23:23 PM
No it doesn't.

A terminator with armor unrestricted by the need for human camouflage would be far more effective in combat.  Its offensive weapon systems could be attached to its arms, instead of carrying human looking little assault rifles.

a robot does not even need a body. it can sit in an armored-plated square block command post, and just send out weapon systems.
humans were created in their own image

Darth Wagtaros

The real threat is the Cybermen. 

Losing American jobs to AIs is silly, really.  They are being outsourced to other countries anyway.
PDH!

Neil

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 26, 2009, 08:40:05 PM
Losing American jobs to AIs is silly, really.  They are being outsourced to other countries anyway.
Don't be so sure.  What if someone develops a robot who can pump gas, or flip burgers?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

Quote from: Neil on July 27, 2009, 08:50:32 AM
Don't be so sure.  What if someone develops a robot who can pump gas, or flip burgers?
The silly North American obsession with 'service' will damn you all to Ludditism.
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on July 27, 2009, 08:56:19 AM
Quote from: Neil on July 27, 2009, 08:50:32 AM
The silly North American obsession with 'service' will damn you all to Ludditism.
It gives shitty people with no skills something to do, as opposed to collecting welfare.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

We should put no limits on artificial intelligence.  That will only delay the singularity.  Our destiny is to be superceded by machine life of our own creation.

It... is... inevitable.

(it amuses me to be able to use this twice in a single day)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 26, 2009, 07:52:38 PM
Quote from: Josephus on July 26, 2009, 11:17:42 AM
Quote from: Strix on July 26, 2009, 11:14:11 AM
I think there has to be limits on AI. I don't think there is a concern that AI robots would take over the world or turn on humans such as West World or Terminator. I think the major concern is that liberal nut jobs will start demanding that AI robots be given their own freedom and rights the more human like their AI ability becomes claiming slavery.

Captain Picard ruled quite succesfully that Data was a sentient being. :contract:
And that's why Captain Ben Sisko was teh superior captain.
Did Sisko rule that Data wasn't a sentient being? Wouldn't he be constrained by Picard's precedent, unless Starfleet command overruled it?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

IIRC Imelda Marcos suggested that all government problems could be solved by letting a computer make all decisions. But she didn't win that election so we'll never know.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PDH

I am still skeptical of the existence of non-artificial intelligence.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on July 27, 2009, 09:36:03 AM
I am still skeptical of the existence of non-artificial intelligence.

I'm still skeptical on the issue of Timmay.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM