What kind of limits should we put on Artificial Intelligences?

Started by jimmy olsen, July 26, 2009, 10:04:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

[Turing]
If a computer could accurately simulate intelligence, it would be by definition intelligent.
[/Turing]

Tonitrus

Quote from: Neil on July 26, 2009, 11:16:05 AM
Quote from: Strix on July 26, 2009, 11:14:11 AM
I think there has to be limits on AI. I don't think there is a concern that AI robots would take over the world or turn on humans such as West World or Terminator. I think the major concern is that liberal nut jobs will start demanding that AI robots be given their own freedom and rights the more human like their AI ability becomes claiming slavery.
An excellent point.

Indeed, that is the clinching factor that could inhibit the sex-bot industry.

FunkMonk

Hopefully America's war machine will one day be fully automated, so we can all enjoy a little warfare from the comfort of our televisions at home without risk. :cool:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Razgovory

I have a question, why did they put teeth on those robots in Terminator?  Do they eat something?  What do Robots eat?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

ulmont

Quote from: Razgovory on July 26, 2009, 04:04:51 PM
I have a question, why did they put teeth on those robots in Terminator?

Those robots are the same model used for infiltration, after having the human flesh and skin slapped on the top of them.

Habbaku

Quote from: Razgovory on July 26, 2009, 04:04:51 PM
I have a question, why did they put teeth on those robots in Terminator?  Do they eat something?  What do Robots eat?

I don't know all that much about the Terminator story, but I assume they did so in case they wanted to later apply the human/camouflage skin over the same bot.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Siege

No it doesn't.

A terminator with armor unrestricted by the need for human camouflage would be far more effective in combat.  Its offensive weapon systems could be attached to its arms, instead of carrying human looking little assault rifles.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

They carry guns that look like people?  Now that's weird!

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on July 26, 2009, 01:07:18 PM
Whatever limits the creators put on the spambot TimOrtiz2009 have already proven to be too restrictive.
Let's be fair.  Tim's posts are both more clever and informative than yours.  Constant newsposts are better than concentrated faggotry and junior-high girl drama.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Siege on July 26, 2009, 01:52:21 PM
I don't think real intelligence, as in self-awareness, is possible for computers.

You might be able to build a computer with massive procesing power, capable to simulate intelligence, but real intelligence? I don't think so.
Simulated intelligence is identical to real intelligence.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

HVC

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 26, 2009, 03:16:52 PM
Hopefully America's war machine will one day be fully automated, so we can all enjoy a little warfare from the comfort of our televisions at home without risk. :cool:
I can do that riight now :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Neil

Quote from: HVC on July 26, 2009, 07:43:39 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on July 26, 2009, 03:16:52 PM
I can do that riight now :P
Indeed.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Josephus on July 26, 2009, 11:17:42 AM
Quote from: Strix on July 26, 2009, 11:14:11 AM
I think there has to be limits on AI. I don't think there is a concern that AI robots would take over the world or turn on humans such as West World or Terminator. I think the major concern is that liberal nut jobs will start demanding that AI robots be given their own freedom and rights the more human like their AI ability becomes claiming slavery.

Captain Picard ruled quite succesfully that Data was a sentient being. :contract:
And that's why Captain Ben Sisko was teh superior captain.
PDH!