News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Odissey: a Baltic tale?

Started by viper37, March 04, 2024, 02:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

It's a thin reasoning.  But it's a fun read, nonetheless.  I like the conclusion of the author. :P

https://bigthink.com/strange-maps/baltic-odyssey/?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-us

• The Iliad and Odyssey, Homer's twin epics, seem to contain signature details suggesting these stories took place in particular settings. 
  • Where? Not the Mediterranean but the Baltic, writes an Italian amateur historian.
  • So, is mythical Ithaca really the Danish island of Lyø? Other explanations are available.

The conclusion:
QuoteSo, did Ulysses sail the Baltic and North Atlantic on his long journey home? Perhaps the best reply to that question is a saying popular in Vinci's native Italian: Se non è vero, è ben trovato (even if it's not true, it's a good story).

I'm gonna keep this saying in mind for the future.  :D
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

I thought that it was the black sea was widely understood. Why say not the med.

Weird this guy can get publicity with such lunacy.
What would it take to get say, that Boudica was really a swedish invader, copied for people's amusement?
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Is it a good story? I don't know how it being in the Baltic improves anything. I mean this is a fictional story.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Josquius on March 04, 2024, 03:16:21 PMI thought that it was the black sea was widely understood. Why say not the med.

Can you translate this Gibberish to English?  Google Translate cannot.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

The Greeks didn't even know where any of these places were.  They were real fuzzy on northern Europe.  According to this guy the events of the Trojan war would have occurred over 7,000 years ago, which predates the Greek language by quite a bit.  It also predates Proto-Indo-European which is the mother language of Greek.  And the domestication of the horse.  And the use of bronze.  Etc, etc,
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on March 04, 2024, 02:41:10 PMIt's a thin reasoning.  But it's a fun read, nonetheless.  I like the conclusion of the author. :P

https://bigthink.com/strange-maps/baltic-odyssey/?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-us

• The Iliad and Odyssey, Homer's twin epics, seem to contain signature details suggesting these stories took place in particular settings.
  • Where? Not the Mediterranean but the Baltic, writes an Italian amateur historian.
  • So, is mythical Ithaca really the Danish island of Lyø? Other explanations are available.

The conclusion:
QuoteSo, did Ulysses sail the Baltic and North Atlantic on his long journey home? Perhaps the best reply to that question is a saying popular in Vinci's native Italian: Se non è vero, è ben trovato (even if it's not true, it's a good story).

I seem to recall someone publishing a similar idea about 10 or 20 years ago.

viper37

Could very well be.  I've heard Ireland and England as possible destinations too.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Maladict

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 04, 2024, 05:14:56 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 04, 2024, 02:41:10 PMIt's a thin reasoning.  But it's a fun read, nonetheless.  I like the conclusion of the author. :P

The conclusion:

Yeah, those theories (including Troy being somewhere in Britain) had a resurgence in the 90s, but they go back to at least the 19th century.

viper37

Quote from: Maladict on March 04, 2024, 10:25:08 PM

The conclusion:

Yeah, those theories (including Troy being somewhere in Britain) had a resurgence in the 90s, but they go back to at least the 19th century.

Well, Rome was founded by Trojan refugees, so...  :sleep:

The Brain

Quote from: viper37 on March 04, 2024, 11:47:25 PM
Quote from: Maladict on March 04, 2024, 10:25:08 PM

The conclusion:

Well, Rome was founded by Trojan refugees, so...  :sleep:

OK Elon.

Tamas

Obviously the reason for such silly theories is that otherwise your national pride must face the reality of your ancestors being unremarkable subsistence farmers at the same time the Greeks were inventing modern civilisation.

The Brain

The dude is
Quotea nuclear engineer by training and an amateur historian by passion
which raises all kinds of red flags.

celedhring

"This imaginary story actually took place in XXXX and not in YYYY" is possibly the supidest subgenre of conspiracy theories. See: Atlantis.

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on March 05, 2024, 11:01:13 AM"This imaginary story actually took place in XXXX and not in YYYY" is possibly the supidest subgenre of conspiracy theories. See: Atlantis.

Yes, but it is consistent with people thinking the imaginary stories that took place in the Bible actually took place in this or that location.

Think about the arguments over where the garden of Eden was actually located, or the numerous trips to find the remains of Noah's ark.