News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Odissey: a Baltic tale?

Started by viper37, March 04, 2024, 02:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 05, 2024, 11:11:56 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 05, 2024, 11:01:13 AM"This imaginary story actually took place in XXXX and not in YYYY" is possibly the supidest subgenre of conspiracy theories. See: Atlantis.

Yes, but it is consistent with people thinking the imaginary stories that took place in the Bible actually took place in this or that location.

Think about the arguments over where the garden of Eden was actually located, or the numerous trips to find the remains of Noah's ark.

I dunno, I really find all this "What are the origins of bible stories" stuff really fascinating. Some of them do have actual historic basis. Noah's Ark is a folk memory of some sort of flood is interesting- the Black Sea deluge one is unlikely but super cool.

Plus its a nice area where the irreligious and sensible people of the book can unite and stare in disgust at the literalist nuts.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: The Brain on March 05, 2024, 08:37:33 AMThe dude is
Quotea nuclear engineer by training and an amateur historian by passion
which raises all kinds of red flags.
But he's Italian.  So that can't be you.  :lol:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on March 05, 2024, 11:01:13 AM"This imaginary story actually took place in XXXX and not in YYYY" is possibly the supidest subgenre of conspiracy theories. See: Atlantis.
Not a conspiracy theory, but for many francophone children, this was an interesting story back in our youth:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulysses_31

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Yeah, it was a very popular show in my youth, too.

The Brain

Quote from: viper37 on March 05, 2024, 01:02:53 PM
Quote from: The Brain on March 05, 2024, 08:37:33 AMThe dude is
Quotea nuclear engineer by training and an amateur historian by passion
which raises all kinds of red flags.
But he's Italian.  So that can't be you.  :lol:

:hug:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josquius on March 05, 2024, 11:29:35 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 05, 2024, 11:11:56 AM

Yes, but it is consistent with people thinking the imaginary stories that took place in the Bible actually took place in this or that location.

Think about the arguments over where the garden of Eden was actually located, or the numerous trips to find the remains of Noah's ark.

I dunno, I really find all this "What are the origins of bible stories" stuff really fascinating. Some of them do have actual historic basis. Noah's Ark is a folk memory of some sort of flood is interesting- the Black Sea deluge one is unlikely but super cool.

Plus its a nice area where the irreligious and sensible people of the book can unite and stare in disgust at the literalist nuts.

I agree that the mythological roots of the Biblical stories are interesting.  The flood story being a good example.  By the way, the prevailing theory is that the Bible story is not related to the flooding of the Black Sea but rather a retelling of the original Sumerian story (which is probably inspired by flooding which occurred in Persian Gulf).

But what is happening is people belief the Noah story is literally true and they try to find the remains of his boat which they belief is just waiting on some mountain top waiting to be discovered.

grumbler

Except that "Atlantis" almost certainly actually existed and was destroyed in pretty much the fashion Plato described.  He just got the size wrong (and was probably not trying for anything like accuracy except where it served his story).  See Thera.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Yeah, I doubt it.  Plato wasn't a writing a history and there is no evidence that the Greeks of his time knew anything about about a volcano on Santorini.  Besides Plato claims Atlantis was the Atlantic Ocean and you can't sail there because you'll run aground on the shoals made from the mountains of Atlantis.  We really don't know what happened to Atlantis except that it sunk because Plato's text is incomplete.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on March 05, 2024, 08:04:42 PM

Except that "Atlantis" almost certainly actually existed and was destroyed in pretty much the fashion Plato described.  He just got the size wrong (and was probably not trying for anything like accuracy except where it served his story).  See Thera.

I don't think he was talking about an eruption that happened about 1000 years before him.  The whole bronze age collapse happens between the eruption of there, and when Plato was writing, it's hard to believe that he had any kind of inkling of that event.

He was creating a mystical land for the purposes of his dialogue.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 05, 2024, 03:50:36 PMI agree that the mythological roots of the Biblical stories are interesting. 
All mythology is interesting.  I was always fascinated by the Greek mythology books my mom had when I was a kid.  I find it no different when it's Jewish/Christian mythology.

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on March 05, 2024, 09:11:27 PMBesides Plato claims Atlantis was the Atlantic Ocean and you can't sail there because you'll run aground on the shoals made from the mountains of Atlantis.  We really don't know what happened to Atlantis except that it sunk because Plato's text is incomplete.
It got drunk and woke up in the wrong place.

Josquius

Atlantis was probably an amalgamation of multiple tales.
Tartessos is another big contender which sounds believable.

QuoteAll mythology is interesting.  I was always fascinated by the Greek mythology books my mom had when I was a kid.  I find it no different when it's Jewish/Christian mythology.

It annoys me though that the Jewish stuff is so "hard to get to". Everything I've found seems so densely written and all reliant on other bits in an awkward nest with no clear branch, and assuming prior knowledge. Kind of like Tolkein mythology.
I'd love to read a good and straight forward tale of the theories for how they killed off their other gods and settled on Yehvah as the only valid god and all others believed by every other people as somehow not real. Jews: original athiests.
██████
██████
██████

Threviel

Couldn't it also be memories from the flooding of the Persian gulf?

Iormlund

Quote from: viper37 on March 05, 2024, 01:06:21 PMNot a conspiracy theory, but for many francophone children, this was an interesting story back in our youth:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulysses_31

:wub:

The Brain

My impression has always been that the Iliad is based on real events. Obviously some parts are made up, like the androids.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.