Vote in the Finnish presidential elections!

Started by Solmyr, December 20, 2023, 06:23:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which candididate would you support?

1 (5%)
11 (55%)
3 (15%)
1 (5%)
0 (0%)
1 (5%)
0 (0%)
2 (10%)
1 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Solmyr

Finland will have its presidential elections in about a month, and the candidate list has been finalized today. In Finland, the President is pretty much a figurehead concerned with image and some representation in foreign politics and diplomacy. Who would Languish choose?

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Sheilbh

Second lady.

I assume the fifth guy has just been told that if he wins, his clubbing days are over :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Also - question. How is power split in Finland?

Niinisto seemed fairly important/influential in Finland's foreign policy direction since the Russian invasion, but I know Finland's one of the countries that, say, at EUCO meetings is represented by the PM/head of government (I think the only President/head of states are France, Cyprus and Lithuania). How is it divvied up or was it a little because of specific circumstances since the Russian invasion?
Let's bomb Russia!

Solmyr

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 20, 2023, 07:44:10 AMAlso - question. How is power split in Finland?

Niinisto seemed fairly important/influential in Finland's foreign policy direction since the Russian invasion, but I know Finland's one of the countries that, say, at EUCO meetings is represented by the PM/head of government (I think the only President/head of states are France, Cyprus and Lithuania). How is it divvied up or was it a little because of specific circumstances since the Russian invasion?

Foreign relations is about the only thing where the President still has some kind of influence. Officially, they are managed together by the President and the Foreign Ministry. The ministry handles the general policy and the President acts as a representative (and yes, there has been some tension about whether the President or the PM should be doing that). Other than that, the President is considered a "values leader", giving grand speeches about the direction of the country and current situation.

It's changed quite a lot over the years, as the original system in Finland gave the President very wide powers (legacy of the monarchists who had to be convinced to support the republic). But now most of those powers have been taken away.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Solmyr on December 20, 2023, 07:58:02 AMForeign relations is about the only thing where the President still has some kind of influence. Officially, they are managed together by the President and the Foreign Ministry. The ministry handles the general policy and the President acts as a representative (and yes, there has been some tension about whether the President or the PM should be doing that). Other than that, the President is considered a "values leader", giving grand speeches about the direction of the country and current situation.

It's changed quite a lot over the years, as the original system in Finland gave the President very wide powers (legacy of the monarchists who had to be convinced to support the republic). But now most of those powers have been taken away.
Interesting - thanks, sounds like a bit of a hybrid system.

Presumably the powers also reflect Kekkonen's unique skills and position :lol: :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Standards for Finnish politicians have diminished.  :(

Richard Hakluyt

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

My interest in Finnish politics reduced a lot when the the hot PM left.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

PRC

Solmyr

Languishites voting for women. Some things never change. :D

grumbler

Quote from: Solmyr on December 20, 2023, 05:52:03 PMLanguishites voting for women. Some things never change. :D

In a sea of eminently punchable faces, the librarian stands out as the best choice.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!