Vote in the Finnish presidential elections!

Started by Solmyr, December 20, 2023, 06:23:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which candididate would you support?

1 (5%)
11 (55%)
3 (15%)
1 (5%)
0 (0%)
1 (5%)
0 (0%)
2 (10%)
1 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Tonitrus

Quote from: Solmyr on December 20, 2023, 05:52:03 PMLanguishites voting for women. Some things never change. :D

We're all overly submissive males who grovel before powerful women.  :blush:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 20, 2023, 06:13:52 PMWe're all overly submissive males who grovel before powerful women.  :blush:
Based on the Conservative Party, that approach to picking leaders has a mixed record at best :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Tonitrus

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 20, 2023, 09:10:30 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on December 20, 2023, 06:13:52 PMWe're all overly submissive males who grovel before powerful women.  :blush:
Based on the Conservative Party, that approach to picking leaders has a mixed record at best :(

Alas, the Labour party has never seen fit to even try that approach for a valid comparison.  :(

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on December 20, 2023, 02:53:00 PMDude with the Ukraine/Finland lapel pin.

Didn't notice it, because he reminded me too much of Friedrich Merz. :x

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Voted for big teeth guy. Probably a neolibertarian guy who wants to privatize the entire country and turn it into a hypercapitalist technostate, but at least he seems to have fun. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sophie Scholl

Post voting google lens search says I voted for... Li Andersson. Looking her up, I am quite content with my pick!  :)
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 20, 2023, 11:36:22 PMAlas, the Labour party has never seen fit to even try that approach for a valid comparison.  :(
Sadly, they are a distinctly more vanilla bunch.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

Savonarola

Quote from: Syt on December 21, 2023, 01:38:50 AMVoted for big teeth guy. Probably a neolibertarian guy who wants to privatize the entire country and turn it into a hypercapitalist technostate, but at least he seems to have fun. :)

I think he was bitten by a radioactive beaver and gained all the powers of a beaver.  At first he'll use his powers for good and provide shelter to all who need it; but, in time, his appetite for wood will become insatiable and he'll go on a rampage throughout northern Europe.  The Finnish army will prove no match for him but, after their defeat, the wise scribes at the Hudson Bay Company will stumble across an ancient scroll that describes an identical situation they faced somewhere in their long and storied history.  Realizing the giant mutant beaver-man's weakness they immediately dispatch the prestigious Hudson Bay Company Black Ops division who will neutralize the threat and bring peace once again through northern Europe; but has destroying the giant mutant beaver-man turned us into the very thing we sought to vanquish?

So he's clearly the best choice.  I really don't think Tori Amos would make a good PM, and I can't understand why so many people are voting for her.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Solmyr

So the first round is nearly done and it looks like Alexander Stubb (National Coalition) and Pekka Haavisto (Greens) are going to compete in the second round. Jussi Halla-aho (The Finns) got left well behind in third place. Both leading candidates are EU-minded liberals and are actually fairly close to each other on policy. So the nationalists and conservatives lost this election. :showoff:

Here are the election results in English: https://yle.fi/a/74-20071743

Solmyr

Languish would apparently vote in the very left-wing woman as president. :lol:

Grey Fox

I really expected her to be the far right candidate.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Solmyr

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 29, 2024, 08:54:21 AMI really expected her to be the far right candidate.

The guy with the Ukrainian/Finnish flag pin is the far right candidate.

Solmyr

And now we have our next President, Alexander Stubb, the man with the teeth. Incidentally, he is our first Swedish-speaking President since Mannerheim.

The second round was quite tight with only about 3% difference between Stubb and Haavisto.