Hunt for the Red October
0 (0%)
Pirates of the Caribbean - Curse of the Black Pearl
0 (0%)
Other (name it)
1 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 20

celedhring

An outgrowth of the talk about the Mutiny on the Bounty movies.

This is not about picking the best movie (or movies, since some of those stories have been adapted multiple times), but rather in which case the mutineers were most justified in their actions. For the sake of focus, let's keep it to mutinies on ships/subs (and no startships either  :P ).

On the surface, I'd say Crimson Tide, since the mutineers prevented WWIII - but their mutiny was based mostly on conjecture rather than unlawful actions from the ship's commmander.

So I'll go with Amistad because fuck slavery.

Admiral Yi

Amistad is sort of a ringer.  Slaves on a slave ship rise up.  Not much tension there.

I vote for The Caine Mutiny.  Captain goes bonkers, the officers have an obligation.  Was there a doctor part in that movie?  In the O'Brian books the doctor has the authority to certify a captain as pyscho.

jimmy olsen

I agree with Yi. Amistad is the clear winner.

Cain mutiny was justified too.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

Interestingly, the Caine movie cuts a lot of the plot from the book that goes to show that it wasn't that clear cut.

Essentially after the mutiny the book follows some of the characters as they take command of their own ships and face the difficulties and stress of command, which puts the Caine captain in a better light. IIRC the conclusion was that they could have made it through the storm without deposing the captain, just by helping him by performing their duty.

celedhring

This reminds me I have to watch Friedkin's version, which was released this fall and got decent reviews.

Syt

Amistad by far, but I accidentally clicked Potemin because I didn't scan the list of options fast enough. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Great question, but should have excluded Amistad because duh.  I skipped past Amistad and selected Crimson Tide because it was the most interesting.  In fact, though, it was the captain who was the mutineer.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

celedhring

Quote from: grumbler on October 14, 2023, 07:26:45 AMGreat question, but should have excluded Amistad because duh.  I skipped past Amistad and selected Crimson Tide because it was the most interesting.  In fact, though, it was the captain who was the mutineer.

Is it because Denzel's character doesn't agree to launching the missiles and the Captain tries to launch them anyway? I mean, I'm aware that both officers have to concur, but I wasn't sure whether the XO is allowed to "not concur" given that a validated launch order exists. I.e. whether the interrupted message is enough.

Savonarola

Other:  The Crimson Permanent Assurance :pirate
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Duque de Bragança

Other: Flash Gordon

All crew and actors mutinied against the producer Dino de Laurentiis, by making a cheesy/kitsch SF movie with some production values, on purpose, with some actors exceeding themselves.

grumbler

Quote from: celedhring on October 14, 2023, 08:20:43 AMIs it because Denzel's character doesn't agree to launching the missiles and the Captain tries to launch them anyway? I mean, I'm aware that both officers have to concur, but I wasn't sure whether the XO is allowed to "not concur" given that a validated launch order exists. I.e. whether the interrupted message is enough.

The XO has to concur.  It isn't a matter of whether he is allowed to not concur, it is a matter of two-man control.  The XO may not concur based on whatever reasoning he believes is valid, and the captain is not allowed (for obvious reasons)  to replace a non-concurring XO.  The XO isn't some random guy; he has been carefully screened before getting that assignment, precisely because of the desire to make sure that there are two fully cognizant people agreeing that nuclear weapons release is authorized.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tonitrus

Darth Wagtaros

Whatisname's mutiny with the original Apollo in the Battlestar Galactica remake.  It was obvious to the characters and the viewers that there was no plan and the leadership and writers were resistant to the notion of forming one.
PDH!

mongers

Quote from: Savonarola on October 14, 2023, 08:41:23 AMOther:  The Crimson Permanent Assurance :pirate

:cool:

I like the cut of your jib.   :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 14, 2023, 08:56:04 AMOther: Flash Gordon

All crew and actors mutinied against the producer Dino de Laurentiis, by making a cheesy/kitsch SF movie with some production values, on purpose, with some actors exceeding themselves.

:D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"