0 (0%)
Pirates of the Caribbean - Curse of the Black Pearl
0 (0%)
Other (name it)
1 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Josquius

Give us free

Though I haven't seen all. At least I don't remember them.
Isn't crimson tide about a rogue Russian captain wanting to start ww3?
Saving the world would beat not becoming a slave yourself.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 14, 2023, 12:49:45 PM
QuoteHunt for the Red October

:hmm:

Definitely a mutiny even if the captain is involved. He kills the political commissar to carry it out.

The Brain

Slaves rising up doesn't sound like a mutiny to me. Mutiny to me is more if crew/soldiers/similar act against their own commanders (in some societies there may be a grey area).

Which version of Treasure Island?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: The Brain on October 15, 2023, 11:59:27 AMSlaves rising up doesn't sound like a mutiny to me. Mutiny to me is more if crew/soldiers/similar act against their own commanders.

Whichever you want.

I wonder if there's one where Long John Silver is the good guy!

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on October 15, 2023, 12:03:52 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 15, 2023, 11:59:27 AMSlaves rising up doesn't sound like a mutiny to me. Mutiny to me is more if crew/soldiers/similar act against their own commanders.

Whichever you want.

I wonder if there's one where Long John Silver is the good guy!

My favorite movie version is Muppets Treasure Island, and the only one I know for sure that I've watched. He's pretty good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvUbbYX9BMs
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

:lol: I was just thinking of that. He's not necessarily a good guy, but he is played by Tim Curry.
Let's bomb Russia!

Hansmeister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 14, 2023, 03:46:06 AMAmistad is sort of a ringer.  Slaves on a slave ship rise up.  Not much tension there.

I vote for The Caine Mutiny.  Captain goes bonkers, the officers have an obligation.  Was there a doctor part in that movie?  In the O'Brian books the doctor has the authority to certify a captain as pyscho.

The problem with the Caine Mutiny was that the officers knew long before the final act that he had lost it, but were too cowardly to bring it up to higher command, even when presented with the opportunity to do so. So instead of having the captain quietly removed they procrastinated until it was almost too late and they had to mutiny. Nobody looks good in this scenario.

Barrister

Yeah, while I think the actions of the slaves on the Amistad was the most morally justified, it doesn't count as a mutiny.  It wasn't a revolt by the crew, but rather (I hate saying this) the enslaved cargo.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on October 16, 2023, 11:48:41 AMYeah, while I think the actions of the slaves on the Amistad was the most morally justified, it doesn't count as a mutiny.  It wasn't a revolt by the crew, but rather (I hate saying this) the enslaved cargo.

But then you didn't have to say it like that. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

chipwich

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on October 16, 2023, 01:47:03 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 16, 2023, 11:48:41 AMYeah, while I think the actions of the slaves on the Amistad was the most morally justified, it doesn't count as a mutiny.  It wasn't a revolt by the crew, but rather (I hate saying this) the enslaved cargo.

But then you didn't have to say it like that. ;)

Feel free to suggest an alternate wording that gets at the distinction I was making. :hug:

Pretty much all of the mutinees listed are to some degree morally ambiguous - precisely because the crew does owe some duty of loyalty to the ship and captain, so it's a matter of to what extent is that duty outweighed by other factors.  The slaves on the Amistad had no such loyalty, which makes their revolt unambiguously moral and good.  But it makes it a less interesting debate.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Incindentally, I watched Friedkin's re-adaptation of Caine's Mutiny and it's outstanding. It takes place entirely within the courtroom - no flashbacks to the ship - and it holds you throughout thanks to great acting and Friedkin's masterful use of the camera.

It's also blatantly obvious that Friedkin sees himself in Queeg, which makes it very fitting as his final film.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.