News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Israel-Hamas War 2023

Started by Zanza, October 07, 2023, 04:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on September 30, 2024, 06:16:46 AMWhy is the Tory conference the next big news item?

They are giving top coverage to the world's worst war zones.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on September 30, 2024, 04:53:20 AMI really don't understand why the temporary Hezbollah leader saying that America and Israel are massacring Lebanese civilians is top-of-the-page news on the Guardian. I know it's the live coverage, but still. What's next? Regular ISIS news updates?
It's hard to sympathize with terrorists without sympathizing with terrorists.

OttoVonBismarck

Outside of conservative media in the UK, the British press is all but cheerleading Hamas/Hezbollah and has been since October of last year, they championed false Hamas claims at the very beginning of the war. This includes letting BBC anchors make clearly pro-Palestinian statements and claims on live tv (unsurprisingly a lot of these BBC anchors look like they go to Mosque every Friday.) Britain is largely an overrun hellhole of Islamism and should no longer be considered part of the West in any meaningful way.

Tamas

OttoVonBismarck

I like the phrasing "what defense remains", when there is an obvious one:

Hezbollah keeps sending bombs at Israel. This is a war of self-defense. Hezbollah has had almost a year to stop shooting missiles at Israel.

The Minsky Moment

It's bizarre that it doesn't seem worthy of comment that the headquarters of a militia carrying out on ongoing military conflict was deliberately embedded in the middle of a densely packed urban housing bloc.  The contempt that Hezbollah has for the Lebanese people is beyond comprehension.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 30, 2024, 11:35:43 AMIt's bizarre that it doesn't seem worthy of comment that the headquarters of a militia carrying out on ongoing military conflict was deliberately embedded in the middle of a densely packed urban housing bloc.  The contempt that Hezbollah has for the Lebanese people is beyond comprehension.

I am guessing the basic premise at play here is that Israel bombs down apartment buildings for the heck of it.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on September 20, 2024, 02:27:00 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 20, 2024, 02:16:39 PMI wonder whether the Israeli attack was actually a blunder. Wouldn't it have made sense to save it for when disrupting Hezbollah C&C mattered most? 

I read in some article (summary) somewhere thst maybe the Israelis were worried their scheme would be discovered.

Then again maybe they had intel that hezbollah was preparing something big and wanted to prevent or delay it.

It looks now like it was the initial stage of taking out the command structure prior to Israel committing troops into Southern Lebanon.

OttoVonBismarck

Imagine if people like Nasrallah weren't stupid pieces of shit.

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 30, 2024, 02:40:29 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 20, 2024, 02:16:39 PMI wonder whether the Israeli attack was actually a blunder. Wouldn't it have made sense to save it for when disrupting Hezbollah C&C mattered most? 

I read in some article (summary) somewhere thst maybe the Israelis were worried their scheme would be discovered.

Then again maybe they had intel that hezbollah was preparing something big and wanted to prevent or delay it.

It looks now like it was the initial stage of taking out the command structure prior to Israel committing troops into Southern Lebanon.

It has to be said that this is pretty impressive so far. I am reading that the Lebanese army (which I understand to be inferior to Hezbollah, to be fair) is GTFO-ing of the border region with Hezbollah's missile launch sites.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on September 30, 2024, 03:18:19 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 30, 2024, 02:40:29 PM

It has to be said that this is pretty impressive so far. I am reading that the Lebanese army (which I understand to be inferior to Hezbollah, to be fair) is GTFO-ing of the border region with Hezbollah's missile launch sites.

Agreed

viper37

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on September 30, 2024, 02:45:07 PMImagine if people like Nasrallah weren't stupid pieces of shit.
How long has he been head of Hezbollah?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 30, 2024, 11:35:43 AMThe contempt that Hezbollah has for the Lebanese people is beyond comprehension.
On the other hand, it's not like Israel really cares about what happens to the people there.

If they move, they move.  If they don't in the 30 seconds warning they are given, so be it.

QuoteThe explosions came as Israel heralded a new wave of attacks on the Iran-backed group in Lebanon, warning civilians to flee from any buildings or areas where the organization had weapons or fighters positioned.

I'm sure there's a big sign, like a 7-11 for Hezbollah supply depots.  Civilians of all affiliations can easily know where it is, and in case of doubt, just ask anyone in the street who that building belongs to and what is inside.  These people are usually the friendly type and readily answers questions like that. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tamas

Would you prefer they matched the type and duration of warning Hezbollah gives to Israeli civilians before a rocket barrage?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: viper37 on September 30, 2024, 07:47:28 PMI'm sure there's a big sign, like a 7-11 for Hezbollah supply depots.  Civilians of all affiliations can easily know where it is, and in case of doubt, just ask anyone in the street who that building belongs to and what is inside.  These people are usually the friendly type and readily answers questions like that. :)

That's an excellent point which I had not considered.  In the absence of big neon Hezbollah signs, how can they know?  I suggest the good people of Lebanon look for clues, such as scowling bearded men carrying AK47s and RPGs.