News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

UK based collaborator sought

Started by Jacob, July 26, 2023, 12:39:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

I tried to buy some nerdy stuff (miniature scenery) from a UK based retailer, but unfortunately they require me to email them to arrange shipping to Canada... and they're failing to respond to my emails.

So I'm wondering if one of UK based posters would be willing to let me use their address to send the stuff to and then mail it on to my Canadian address. I would, of course, reimburse them for the cost... and/ or if there's some sort of Canadian based goods (legal) that they'd like me to get and send in return, I'd be happy to do that as well.

It's obviously a bit of a hassle but no harm in asking, right?

Richard Hakluyt

I have a suggestion. You can PM me with your email address and the name of the firm that you are trying to buy stuff from. I will then email them and explain the problem, hopefully that will get past their spam filter and a human will contact you and sort the problem. Its cheaper and less hassle than the alternative.

Jacob

Thank you for the offer... it has already worked, as they've (finally) responded to my email. I give you full credit :cheers:

Richard Hakluyt

Jacob

So... there was progress.

They quoted me a price, sent me an invoice including shipping.

Then there was a setback.

The quote was wrong (they didn't count multiples) and then it turned out they didn't have one of the items. So they refunded my payment and apologized.

What they didn't do was give me a quote for the items they did have. So I asked them for that and am still waiting to hear back from them....

Richard Hakluyt

Sounds like a small company run by an enthusiast with minimal business skills  :hmm:

Jacob

Very common with this kind of set up.

Though, consistently, whenever I complain on languish I see action shortly afterwards. Perhaps they lurk here?

The Brain

In the interest of science, which retailer is it? And which scenery? PM if sensitive information.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on August 08, 2023, 02:55:21 PMVery common with this kind of set up.

Though, consistently, whenever I complain on languish I see action shortly afterwards. Perhaps they lurk here?

Mongers?
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on August 08, 2023, 02:58:17 PMIn the interest of science, which retailer is it? And which scenery? PM if sensitive information.

They're called Hobbies and they've apparently been around since 1895. They have a nice line of pre-painted 28 mm buildings that's on sale at half off... meaning even with shipping to Canada it's not too expensive, relatively speaking.

https://www.hobbies.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=conflix

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Josquius on August 08, 2023, 03:15:02 PM
Quote from: Jacob on August 08, 2023, 02:55:21 PMVery common with this kind of set up.

Mongers?

My first thought as well  :lol:

Oi, mongers! Get your shit together  :P

Richard Hakluyt

I see what you mean about the prices Jake, very reasonable  :lol:

...and rapidly going out of stock  :huh:

Syt

Maybe just a bit overwhelmed with requests/orders at the moment for the size for their operation?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Although you feel like they should have maybe worked out a system by now if they've been around since 1895 :lol:

Maybe it's a site for hobbyists, by hobbyists.
Let's bomb Russia!