News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

I don't see many conservative voting in a CNN poll. Probably get the reverse numbers in a fox poll.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 11, 2024, 02:12:47 AMIt is all down to a relatively small number of voters in those seven or so swing states. Just takes a few Republican-leaning voters to think "hold on a minute, this man is an unhinged criminal" and Harris will get in.

But is remains baffling to me that people can fall for his nonsense. Well, not the oligarchs, the Trump USA will be a great place for them.

Even if he loses, if the election will be as close as it is predicted, that means the existential crisis for US democracy and the world order around it will remain, as someone WILL emerge to take Trump's place and they might not be this large fools, ergo they could be more dangerous.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on September 11, 2024, 02:56:21 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 11, 2024, 02:12:47 AMIt is all down to a relatively small number of voters in those seven or so swing states. Just takes a few Republican-leaning voters to think "hold on a minute, this man is an unhinged criminal" and Harris will get in.

But is remains baffling to me that people can fall for his nonsense. Well, not the oligarchs, the Trump USA will be a great place for them.

Even if he loses, if the election will be as close as it is predicted, that means the existential crisis for US democracy and the world order around it will remain, as someone WILL emerge to take Trump's place and they might not be this large fools, ergo they could be more dangerous.

Maybe. So far he seems to have a unique power.

But we will see. Still have to beat him first.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on September 11, 2024, 02:44:29 AMI don't see many conservative voting in a CNN poll. Probably get the reverse numbers in a fox poll.

CNN has been swinging right in an effort to be the centrist network or something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on September 11, 2024, 02:56:21 AM

Potentially so.

Though I do wonder whether trumps idiocy is key to idiots finding him relatable.
Imagine a younger smarter fascist trying the same schtick for instance.... Imaginable a lot of working class people just wouldn't trust him.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on September 11, 2024, 02:44:29 AMI don't see many conservative voting in a CNN poll. Probably get the reverse numbers in a fox poll.

If anyone in a fox pill votes for Harris winning the debate it will mean Trump lost some of his core support.  Any percentage going to Harris in that poll would mean a huge Harris win.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on September 10, 2024, 11:27:53 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 10, 2024, 11:17:06 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 10, 2024, 10:24:13 PMCan anyone give a lowdown on what's so important about Taylor Swift endorsing Harris?  Or who Taylor Swift is, for that matter?

She is a popular celebrity with a fanatical and large following. She is a pop star who had been dominating the pop charts since about 2008 or so.

Oh and her boyfriend won the Super Bowl.

I can only assume you don't care much for pop culture or sports  :P
:o That's uncanny.  I don't in fact care much for either of those things.

She has been mentioned many times and in many contexts in the news and newspaper articles over several years and so the other thing we can surmise is you haven't read a newspaper in quite some time or listened to the news in any form in any medium for years.

Josquius

Aye. 10 years ago it might be expected not to know her if you don't care about pop music. When I first learned of her existence, having started working in a high school, she was already apparently huge. Just seemingly out of nowhere all of a sudden.
But these days she pops up in general news.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Yeah, even the business pages have mentioned her due to that massive tour and its effects on local economies.

Tamas

DGuller

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything.  I guess my ignorance of Taylor Swift is a reflection of the age of algorithms, where anyone can be almost perfectly focused on news stories of interest to them, and everyone getting their very personalized feed assumes that everyone else is getting the same feed. 

News stories about business impacts of travel itineraries of some celebrities have never interested me.  Or business stories in general, for that matter.  If I ever need to have surgery, I'll ask the doctors to use CNBC to put me under.

viper37

Quote from: DGuller on September 10, 2024, 10:24:13 PMCan anyone give a lowdown on what's so important about Taylor Swift endorsing Harris?  Or who Taylor Swift is, for that matter?
Her fans are a bunch of fanatics, even worst than the average Trump follower.  :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on September 11, 2024, 07:20:22 AMI'm not trying to convince anyone of anything.  I guess my ignorance of Taylor Swift is a reflection of the age of algorithms, where anyone can be almost perfectly focused on news stories of interest to them, and everyone getting their very personalized feed assumes that everyone else is getting the same feed. 

News stories about business impacts of travel itineraries of some celebrities have never interested me.  Or business stories in general, for that matter.  If I ever need to have surgery, I'll ask the doctors to use CNBC to put me under.

I assure you I have no algorithmic overlap with Taylor Swift fans, I have never in my life been recommended any content by, or concerning, Taylor Swift.

Yet I have been aware of her and have seen her repeatedly mentioned by various media I consume (including politics and even business podcasters/youtubers) for at least a decade, probably more.

Grey Fox

It's weird but it happens. I'm sure there's some giant soccer player out there that I've never heard of before.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on September 11, 2024, 07:20:22 AMI'm not trying to convince anyone of anything.  I guess my ignorance of Taylor Swift is a reflection of the age of algorithms, where anyone can be almost perfectly focused on news stories of interest to them, and everyone getting their very personalized feed assumes that everyone else is getting the same feed. 

It not only would mean that you have a very narrow intake of information on a daily basis, but it also means that you're completely isolated from other people.  Do you talk to people face-to-face or is your whole reality based on your social media interactions.

If you do interact with people face-to-face, then the chances of you having interacted with anybody who has a daughter is pretty much nil if you've never heard of Taylor Swift.