2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Zoupa

Isn't Trump in the lead by like 50 points?

Not sure any of these idiots matter much.

Is there a realistic way for Trump to not be the nominee, legal-wise?

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Zoupa on August 25, 2023, 11:42:50 PMIsn't Trump in the lead by like 50 points?

he decided to die?

Savonarola

Quote from: Zoupa on August 25, 2023, 11:42:50 PMIsn't Trump in the lead by like 50 points?

Yes, Trump has an enormous lead, but it is only August.  Even a conviction couldn't stop Trump from running (legally, I mean); I think it's on this thread someone brought up that Eugene Debs ran for president while in prison.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josquius

I guess they matter for those who pull ahead dishing it out on trump?
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

Haley and Scott are the two most clearly running for VP.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

OttoVonBismarck

While their motivations vary (sometimes running a quasi-successful primary campaign opens doors politically and/or financially), my guess is the candidates who are genuinely hoping to be President are running because they either think something is going to happen to derail Trump, or they are thinking Trump will disastrously lose in 2024 and leave the party ripe for an "I told you so 4 years ago, I know how to win" candidate in 2028.

Note that some of these people may be wishing for something that is highly unlikely.

Admiral Yi

Swami wants to cut the federal work force by 75% and eliminate the department of education and the IRS ( :blink:  :blink: ).

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 30, 2023, 07:36:40 PMSwami wants to cut the federal work force by 75% and eliminate the department of education and the IRS ( :blink:  :blink: ).

So he wants to repeal the 16th Amendment too? :hmm:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 30, 2023, 07:56:47 PMSo he wants to repeal the 16th Amendment too? :hmm:

I guess he wants to put taxes on the honor system.

Where did this dude come from anyway?  What's his deal?  Gotta be tech or finance.

Tonitrus

He does seem to kind of be the GOP's answer to Andrew Yang.

Sophie Scholl

Inherited wealth and pharmaceuticals to pump their prices with investment from hedge funds. He's darn near everything that is wrong with how the system works.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 30, 2023, 07:58:28 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on August 30, 2023, 07:56:47 PMSo he wants to repeal the 16th Amendment too? :hmm:

Where did this dude come from anyway?  What's his deal?  Gotta be tech or finance.

He is an investor in Big Pharma. That is pretty much all I know.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on August 30, 2023, 08:25:50 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 30, 2023, 07:58:28 PM

He is an investor in Big Pharma. That is pretty much all I know.
IIRC, he invested big in a drug that had failed it's initial trials, really pumped it up and advertised it. Stock went up a lot, he sold his shares for a fortune, than it failed the next trials and everyone still invested lost their shirts.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Ramaswamy is a very successful con man.  None of his companies ever turned a profit, nor did any (as far as I can tell) ever actually succeed in getting any drug to market.  He had some early success in a venture capital firm, and then turned around and sweet-talked a bunch of venture capitalists to back his losing ventures.

IOW, he is what Trump wanted to be.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!