Just a friendly reminder to all Commonwealth citizens

Started by viper37, April 30, 2023, 09:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on April 30, 2023, 09:03:19 PMFrench citizens currently living in Canada are dispensed from swearing allegiance due to cultural exceptions.  Something to do with the guillotine, apparently.

Why only the French? It's discrimination!  :angry:  :frog:  :D
Any republican really, or non-subject of Charles III really. :P

Or is it one of those awful accommodements raisonnables:hmm:

Grey Fox

Je, Grey Fox, jure que je serai fidèle et porterai une vraie allégeance à Sa Majesté le Roi Charles III.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 01, 2023, 07:48:15 AMMoi, Grey Fox, jure que je serai fidèle et porterai une vraie allégeance à Sa Majesté le Roi Charles III.

Corrigé ! :contract:

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on May 01, 2023, 03:31:39 AMWhat happens if I recite the pledge of allegiance?

And if I do it three times in front of a mirror?
:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:
You start speaking in a weird accent and use words like "mate" every 3 words, and tea becomes a pleasant beverage in the afternoon.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on May 01, 2023, 05:58:29 AMI'm Maltese and Canadian. Is it optional?
Only if you're in Malta Saturday.
Otherwise, you have to demonstrate fealty to your new Lord.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 01, 2023, 06:55:51 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 01, 2023, 02:37:35 AMWhat was strange?

There are things about it that feel very, very British in a way that I found quite jarring given the setting, climate and everything else about Malta :lol:

I can't describe it well but it was like you're on holiday in a Mediterranean island and then there'd be moments when the fourth wall would and home would be staring at you.

QuoteI really like Malta, a fascinating place, the density of interesting places there is incredible  :cool:
Yeah I liked it a lot. Gozo was also well worth a visit.

Sounds like the mirror image experience of visiting Portmeirion. :wub:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

An Israeli colleague described Malta as "quite similar to other Arab and Palestinian settlements in the Levant."  :ph34r:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Quote from: Syt on May 01, 2023, 11:06:07 AMAn Israeli colleague described Malta as "quite similar to other Arab and Palestinian settlements in the Levant."  :ph34r:

First time I went to Israel, thing that struck me was the similarites between Israel and Malta. Tel Aviv reminded me a lot Malta's coast cities like Sliema. Jerusalem, with its stone architecture, reminded me of Valletta and Mdina.

A few less Jews in Malta.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

What I found striking is how you walk like three corners from the posh yacht harbor and 5* hotel in Portomaso and suddenly come to people keeping geese and ducks in their disheveled gardens and all kinds of electric wiring going out of/into holes in walls that were not in the original plans for the buildings (if indeed any plans existed) - and looking like the whole structure might come down any moment.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 01, 2023, 07:51:41 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 01, 2023, 07:48:15 AMMoi, Grey Fox, jure que je serai fidèle et porterai une vraie allégeance à Sa Majesté le Roi Charles III.

Eh, I didn't write the thing.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on April 30, 2023, 09:03:19 PMFrench citizens currently living in Canada are dispensed from swearing allegiance due to cultural exceptions.  Something to do with the guillotine, apparently.

The French weren't even willing to guillotine Charles X, much less Charles III. They just lost their taste for it after that one time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 01, 2023, 12:46:35 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 01, 2023, 07:51:41 AM

Eh, I didn't write the thing.

Yet you swore.

Grey Fox

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on May 01, 2023, 01:40:23 PM

The French weren't even willing to guillotine Charles X, much less Charles III. They just lost their taste for it after that one time.

France is a republic in search of a king :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 01, 2023, 07:30:00 AM

Why only the French? It's discrimination!  :angry:  :frog:  :D
Any republican really, or non-subject of Charles III really. :P

Or is it one of those awful accommodement raisonnables:hmm:
Yes, it's one of those awful things.  Canada is very strong on multiculturalism.  They may not tolerate the guillotine for humans though. :P