Just a friendly reminder to all Commonwealth citizens

Started by viper37, April 30, 2023, 09:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Coronation: Public invited to swear allegiance to King Charles

Loyal Canadians should not forget to wake up at 4:00am ET to swear their allegiance to their new majesty.
2:00 AM for Edmonton and 1:00AM for Vancouver.
Be sure to put it on your calendar.

You can thank me later.  It's optional for Malta, being totally independent, but if Maltese want to join in, feel free to look up the correct time.

French citizens currently living in Canada are dispensed from swearing allegiance due to cultural exceptions.  Something to do with the guillotine, apparently.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tonitrus

I will remember to dump some tea down the sink.  :P

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Yet again I'm annoyed that Malta's referendum to become part of the UK wasn't honoured :(

Definitely the strangest place I've ever visited as a British tourist.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

I really like Malta, a fascinating place, the density of interesting places there is incredible  :cool:

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 30, 2023, 10:58:01 PMDefinitely the strangest place I've ever visited as a British tourist.

What was strange?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

I eagerly await the recordings of absolute wastes screaming at their tele
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

What happens if I recite the pledge of allegiance?

And if I do it three times in front of a mirror?

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on May 01, 2023, 03:31:39 AMWhat happens if I recite the pledge of allegiance?

And if I do it three times in front of a mirror?

My husband suggested I participate as practice.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on April 30, 2023, 09:03:19 PMCoronation: Public invited to swear allegiance to King Charles

Loyal Canadians should not forget to wake up at 4:00am ET to swear their allegiance to their new majesty.
2:00 AM for Edmonton and 1:00AM for Vancouver.
Be sure to put it on your calendar.

You can thank me later.  It's optional for Malta, being totally independent, but if Maltese want to join in, feel free to look up the correct time.

French citizens currently living in Canada are dispensed from swearing allegiance due to cultural exceptions.  Something to do with the guillotine, apparently.

I'm Maltese and Canadian. Is it optional?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 30, 2023, 10:58:01 PMYet again I'm annoyed that Malta's referendum to become part of the UK wasn't honoured :(

Definitely the strangest place I've ever visited as a British tourist.

How so? I'll be back there next month
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on May 01, 2023, 02:37:35 AMWhat was strange?
There are things about it that feel very, very British in a way that I found quite jarring given the setting, climate and everything else about Malta :lol:

I can't describe it well but it was like you're on holiday in a Mediterranean island and then there'd be moments when the fourth wall would and home would be staring at you.

QuoteI really like Malta, a fascinating place, the density of interesting places there is incredible  :cool:
Yeah I liked it a lot. Gozo was also well worth a visit.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Yeah I asked as I visited as an American so wondered if there was something subtle that I missed.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on May 01, 2023, 07:08:35 AMYeah I asked as I visited as an American so wondered if there was something subtle that I missed.
Yeah - it's not like it's a tourist area knowing there'll be loads of Brits (or Americans) so there's things that are recognisably British.

It's been ages since I was there and there's been an entire pandemic in between - so I can't remember any specific examples. I just remember a few times have that sense - almost deja vu-y - of seeing something I didn't expect on holiday/in another country.
Let's bomb Russia!