Just a friendly reminder to all Commonwealth citizens

Started by viper37, April 30, 2023, 09:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: HVC on May 01, 2023, 04:51:09 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 01, 2023, 01:40:23 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 30, 2023, 09:03:19 PMFrench citizens currently living in Canada are dispensed from swearing allegiance due to cultural exceptions.  Something to do with the guillotine, apparently.

The French weren't even willing to guillotine Charles X, much less Charles III. They just lost their taste for it after that one time.

France is a republic in search of a king :P
Emmanuel Macron says its a good idea and he'll soon be available :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on May 01, 2023, 04:51:09 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 01, 2023, 01:40:23 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 30, 2023, 09:03:19 PMFrench citizens currently living in Canada are dispensed from swearing allegiance due to cultural exceptions.  Something to do with the guillotine, apparently.

The French weren't even willing to guillotine Charles X, much less Charles III. They just lost their taste for it after that one time.

France is a republic in search of a king :P

Don't worry, there is worse er... better, a god: Zupiter!  :D

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Josephus on May 01, 2023, 12:03:41 PM
Quote from: Syt on May 01, 2023, 11:06:07 AMAn Israeli colleague described Malta as "quite similar to other Arab and Palestinian settlements in the Levant."  :ph34r:

First time I went to Israel, thing that struck me was the similarites between Israel and Malta. Tel Aviv reminded me a lot Malta's coast cities like Sliema. Jerusalem, with its stone architecture, reminded me of Valletta and Mdina.

A few less Jews in Malta.

Maltese is a semitic language, related to Arabic (cf. Mdina) with a strong South Italian (Sicilian) influence.
I don't find that surprising. The religion is different of course but then even in the Levant you can find some "Arabs" such as the Lebanese/"Phoenician" maronites (they do not identify themselves necessarily as Arabs).

viper37

Giant Penis mowed onto Royal Coronation Site in Bath England, Officials are not amused

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

Quote from: viper37 on May 05, 2023, 09:19:08 AMGiant Penis mowed onto Royal Coronation Site in Bath England, Officials are not amused

snip

That's the most constructive use of that space I've seen, usually when you pass it's just a tourist space as part of the 'Jane Austen* Fantasy World' experience.

* Not especially sure or interested who it is that international tourists find So fascinating about the fantasied Georgian period.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

I bought and constructed some Union Jack paper chains. Almost all the tat was already sold out?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on May 05, 2023, 06:09:20 PMI bought and constructed some Union Jack paper chains. Almost all the tat was already sold out?
I'll give you bonus point for integration into your country of adoption.  When are you becoming a British citizen? :D

Admiral Yi

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 05, 2023, 09:03:36 PMWhere does your accent now fall?

On a scale between 80s Madonna and late 2000 Madonna :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on May 05, 2023, 09:09:24 PMOn a scale between 80s Madonna and late 2000 Madonna :P

20 fake quatloos says he's broken the Madonna line.

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 05, 2023, 09:15:46 PM
Quote from: HVC on May 05, 2023, 09:09:24 PMOn a scale between 80s Madonna and late 2000 Madonna :P

I'll take that bet. I say idioms but not a strong accent :contract:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on May 05, 2023, 09:09:24 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 05, 2023, 09:03:36 PMWhere does your accent now fall?

On a scale between 80s Madonna and late 2000 Madonna :P

Can't remember Madonna, but on a scale of Jean-Luc Picard to Guy Ritchie movie, I itch to know where he falls. :P

Those darn movies are hard to follow! ( I just finished The Gentlemen, boy, was that something!)

Legbiter

Brits, don't fuck this up for your sovereign Bretavaldur.  -_-

I want to see Tamas symbolically stepped on as Charles mounts the dais to his throne as befits a Loyal Subject. Smells and bells, give it all you got. There better be chrismation with holy oil. Welsh bowmen swearing fealty as clearly stipulated in the 1331 treaty of Llanddewi Brefi, etc.

My ancestor Egill Skallagrímsson took a chance on Athelstan, swore him fealty, and it served him well. Show us you still got it.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 05, 2023, 09:15:46 PM

That ain't no bet, lots of guys have broken the Madonna line.  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Legbiter on May 05, 2023, 11:58:46 PMBrits, don't fuck this up for your sovereign Bretavaldur.  -_-

I want to see Tamas symbolically stepped on as Charles mounts the dais to his throne as befits a Loyal Subject. Smells and bells, give it all you got. There better be chrismation with holy oil. Welsh bowmen swearing fealty as clearly stipulated in the 1331 treaty of Llanddewi Brefi, etc.

My ancestor Egill Skallagrímsson took a chance on Athelstan, swore him fealty, and it served him well. Show us you still got it.
They've definitely gone in on smells and bells.

There is annointing oil (now vegan) - made from olives harvested from the monastery in Greece where Charles' grandmother (on Philip's side) is buried, pressed in Bethlehem and then consectrated by the Patriarch or Jerusalemn and an Anglican Archbishop.

Also Welsh, Scots Gaelic and Irish will be used in the service for some of it.

Plus gun salutes at the moment the crown is put on Charles' head - both across the country and by Royal Navy vessels at sea.

Personally I am hyped for hearing Zadok the Priest out in the wild :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!