News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do you have the subtitles on?

Started by Sheilbh, February 24, 2023, 04:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you want TV/films with the subtitles?

Yes
10 (58.8%)
No
7 (41.2%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Sheilbh

Prompted by this:

I do - and always have. Pleased to discover it's just because I'm in touch with the youth (rather than, say, needing a hearing aid massively prematurely) :ph34r: :goodboy:

I feel like it might be proxy for how likely are you to look at your phone? :hmm:

Edit: Typo :weep:
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Subtitles on English shows bug me.  I invariably wind up focusing on the letters, not the picture.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Yes, always. Though need for them has been less since I got a soundbar.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

Josquius

Living with a non native speaker mandates it and has led to me sort of becoming reliant on it.
Which is sad as it fucks up the timing on jokes.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on February 24, 2023, 04:46:14 PMLiving with a non native speaker mandates it and has led to me sort of becoming reliant on it.
Which is sad as it fucks up the timing on jokes.

What is even more annoying is turning the tv on and realizing someone <_< has turned on Japanese subtitles.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

We generally have them on in our house for a variety of reasons. If I'm watching something by myself I usually leave them off though.

I grew up watching all English language media subtitled, so it's not a stretch or an annoyance for me in any way - even if the subtitles now are in English too.

Admiral Yi

Generally on, because I'm hard of heariing.

Grey Fox

Yes, even tho I'm like 30 years younger than Old man Yi there I am also hard of hearing.

I can usually avoid it with shows in Quebec french tho.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HisMajestyBOB

I usually do because some shows are hard to hear. Also it's easier to just loosely pay attention when subtitles are on.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

HVC

Depends when the show/movie was produced. Newer ones are sometime mixed with really low dialogue.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Almost everything I watch on TV is sports so I don't use subtitles
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Darth Wagtaros

Yes.  Hollywood seems to be playing to people who have their own IMAX in their living rooms.
PDH!

celedhring

No, I don't use subtitles for Spanish language stuff. I only turn them on in English if the sound mix is very naturalistic or it's an accent/slang I'm not used to. I find the letters on the screen to be distracting so I try to turn them on only if I really need them.

Maladict

No. But I increasingly do for English language media.