News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do you have the subtitles on?

Started by Sheilbh, February 24, 2023, 04:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you want TV/films with the subtitles?

Yes
10 (58.8%)
No
7 (41.2%)

Total Members Voted: 17

mongers

Given the near dominance of naturalistic NA originated sound balance vs the old fashioned British theatrical way of recording film dialogue, I'd say nearly all the time now.

Award winning 'mumbled' performances don't help, what with me being somewhat deaf.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Normally off, unless I'm half-watching while doing something else like listening to music.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Normally off, but lately I am having trouble with American made movies, and particularly those with strong drawling accents.  For those subtitles go on.

Josquius

I wonder if there could be a case for a law suit against hollywood on accessibility grounds.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Not in French or in Portuguese, unless the sound mix makes it difficult to understand the dialog.

I do put French subtitles on a French track, to compare the translation of say, the Japanese track, to the translation of the French track itself.

English/French/whatever language I am familiar with subtitles if the English accent is too thick, as well.

Admiral Yi

The Long Good Friday (Cockney gangster movie) was released in the US with subtitles.

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 27, 2023, 01:37:57 PMThe Long Good Friday (Cockney gangster movie) was released in the US with subtitles.

So was "The Harder they Come" (Jamaican movie with a killer soundtrack.)  Originally United Artists wanted to dub the Beatles for the US release of Hard Day's Night due to their Liverpudlian accents ( :lol: :bleeding:).
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 24, 2023, 08:54:53 PMYes.  Hollywood seems to be playing to people who have their own IMAX in their living rooms.

Here's a great article on why sound mixing is so awful these days

https://www.slashfilm.com/673162/heres-why-movie-dialogue-has-gotten-more-difficult-to-understand-and-three-ways-to-fix-it/
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 28, 2023, 07:24:22 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 24, 2023, 08:54:53 PMYes.  Hollywood seems to be playing to people who have their own IMAX in their living rooms.

Here's a great article on why sound mixing is so awful these days

https://www.slashfilm.com/673162/heres-why-movie-dialogue-has-gotten-more-difficult-to-understand-and-three-ways-to-fix-it/
I saw a quote by I think Snyder complaining about people saying they can't hear things, like they don't have appreciation for his 'art'.
PDH!

Admiral Yi

viper37

No subtitles in French or English.  But I have hearing aids.
My parents use subtitles. My dad does not want to recognize he needs hearing aids.  His girlfriend does, but she can't afford hearing aids for both ears right now and the government only pays for one for retired/elderly people.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.