It's a Traffic Circle You Limey Bastards.

Started by Admiral Yi, July 30, 2022, 10:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Not going to call it a roundabout.

My ville recently installed one.  I thought the old 4 way stop was doing just fine, but can't stand in the way of progess.

So I'm wondering if the rules/etiquette say you signal when you're in the circle to tell the guys outside the circle waiting that they can slip in.

Zoupa

Apparently France has 60% of the planet's ROUNDABOUTS. You don't need to signal. It's supposed to be designed in such a way that you're going slow enough that the person trying to slip in will have enough time even without you signaling.

Josquius

I'm not sure if it's the rule or just courtesy but when turning right you should signal you're going way around and then when you're leaving it.
Basically no different to if it was just a cross road.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

Quote from: Zoupa on July 30, 2022, 11:15:56 PMApparently France has 60% of the planet's ROUNDABOUTS. You don't need to signal. It's supposed to be designed in such a way that you're going slow enough that the person trying to slip in will have enough time even without you signaling.
A friend of mine was once stuck in one of the inner circles around the Arc de Triomphe for a couple of minutes as he did not dare to move outwards.  :lol:

Zoupa

That one is pretty infamous. You just gotta impose yourself, folks are just going to have to hit the brakes.

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on July 31, 2022, 01:30:20 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on July 30, 2022, 11:15:56 PMApparently France has 60% of the planet's ROUNDABOUTS. You don't need to signal. It's supposed to be designed in such a way that you're going slow enough that the person trying to slip in will have enough time even without you signaling.
A friend of mine was once stuck in one of the inner circles around the Arc de Triomphe for a couple of minutes as he did not dare to move outwards.  :lol:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

I think it's a rule you should signal, in the UK?

If you turn right (left, for you empire-less peasants) you are also suppose to indicate before you enter the roundabout.

And it does help if you signal on your way out, although I almost never risk collision (on account of the indicator being on by mistake) whether its a roundabout or some other situation.

Regarding multi-lane roundabouts, I think a critical mass of drivers must be familiar with how it is supposed to work for it to work. In the UK it works fine (many roundabouts are overcomplicated but that's a different story), but I admit I was watching Youtube videos before buying my car here to make sure I understand - in Hungary I found that most efforts to use multi-lanes properly was way too risky as there wasn't this critical mass of people doing it right, which forced me to ignore inner lanes most of the time as well. But the situation may have improved since.

Overall my conclusion of UK roundabouts is that they work great when every driver in them is already familiar with that particular roundabout. But they can be quite the pain when it's your first time in them (as many of them are large and/or complex), or if there are others trying to find their way in some of the elaborate ones without Google Maps navigation.

Tamas

Quote from: Zoupa on July 30, 2022, 11:15:56 PMYou don't need to signal. It's supposed to be designed in such a way that you're going slow enough that the person trying to slip in will have enough time even without you signaling.

And you sneer at the Anglo-Saxons :P

That's a really laissez faire attitude to driving and safety.

Gups

mongers

Also signal because it helps pedestrians who trying to cross the roundabout's feeder roads.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Crazy_Ivan80

Over here you only need (by law) to signal when leaving the roundabout. No need to signal when entering as you can only go right then.

Jacob

Here's how I understand behaviour in a basic traffic circle / roundabout that replaces an intersection:

As you enter, if you're going left you signal left, if you're going straight you don't signal, if you're going right you signal right. In all cases, you signal right as you exit.

Tamas

Quote from: Jacob on July 31, 2022, 10:08:07 AMHere's how I understand behaviour in a basic traffic circle / roundabout that replaces an interasection:

As you enter, if you're going left you signal left, if you're going straight you don't signal, if you're going right you signal right. In all cases, you signal right as you exit.

Yep. Also, in the UK at least you are supposed to change this as you go around. So, if do the long circle (going right in UK, left everywhere else). You signal in the direction you are heading, as you line up with the straight ahead option you stop signalling, and you signal toward your exit when its next.

Many people don't do / forget the latter bit, so if I want to enter a roundabout but  I see a car coming with the "long turn direction" indicator on and I did not see where it entered the roundabout, I do not jump out in front because there are perfectly reasonable odds they just left the indicator on and are going to leave the roundabout just as I jump out in front of them.