It's a Traffic Circle You Limey Bastards.

Started by Admiral Yi, July 30, 2022, 10:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

Yi where do you live that rounadabouts are uncommon, they've been the norm here for 15 years.

Technically in U.S. traffic engineering speak, I actually think a traffic circle is a different thing than a roundabout. 

Traffic circle is often used to describe "non-conforming" roundabouts or rotaries, which don't follow general good practice on roundabout design because they are usually legacy features before they were standardized. I think Columbus Circle in NYC was a very famous example of this, but I think they modified / cleaned up the lane flow enough in the 2000s to fix the issues Columbus Circle had.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 31, 2022, 11:37:51 AMYi where do you live that rounadabouts are uncommon, they've been the norm here for 15 years.

Iowa City, Iowa.

Razgovory

There's one near my apartment that I can't figure out.  It has two lanes and every time I go through it people honk at me.  Everything on the other side of that traffic circle is now inaccessible to me. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Zoupa on July 31, 2022, 01:59:01 AMThat one is pretty infamous. You just gotta impose yourself, folks are just going to have to hit the brakes.

And honk.  :P
Though technically, the Arc de Triomphe does not follow the same rules as the recent roundabouts (rond-points à l'anglaise). At the Arc de Triomphe, the ones inside have to give way to those entering.
In roundabouts, it's the other way around: priority for those already inside.  :D

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on July 31, 2022, 01:59:01 AMThat one is pretty infamous. You just gotta impose yourself, folks are just going to have to hit the brakes.
Now I remember why I hated Paris.  :shutup:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Iormlund

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on July 31, 2022, 07:05:05 AMOver here you only need (by law) to signal when leaving the roundabout. No need to signal when entering as you can only go right then.

Here as well. You should only signal when exiting or switching lanes inside the roundabout.
Or in other words, treat it exactly as you would any other [straight] road.

Sadly, people are so incredibly stupid that the concept of "just another road, just round" seems for some reason unfathomable.
So I will often defensibly signal inward when I'm not going to exit to tell morons I'm not leaving the lane yet.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Iormlund on August 01, 2022, 08:54:46 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on July 31, 2022, 07:05:05 AMOver here you only need (by law) to signal when leaving the roundabout. No need to signal when entering as you can only go right then.

Here as well. You should only signal when exiting or switching lanes inside the roundabout.
Or in other words, treat it exactly as you would any other [straight] road.

Sadly, people are so incredibly stupid that the concept of "just another road, just round" seems for some reason unfathomable.
So I will often defensibly signal inward when I'm not going to exit to tell morons I'm not leaving the lane yet.
:D truer words have not been spoken

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 31, 2022, 02:38:28 PM

Though technically, the Arc de Triomphe does not follow the same rules as the recent roundabouts (rond-points à l'anglaise). At the Arc de Triomphe, the ones inside have to give way to those entering.
In roundabouts, it's the other way around: priority for those already inside.  :D

I shall remember that; one of my small ambitions is to fully cycle around/across it.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on August 01, 2022, 05:25:46 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 31, 2022, 02:38:28 PM

I shall remember that; one of my small ambitions is to fully cycle around/across it.

In the old days, this would have been quite a feat for a cyclist.
The easy way around is using the Tilsitt and Presbourg streets, perfectly circling the Arc de Triomphe.

Or, at night in August (3 or 4 a.m when taxis can speedily take the curve for centrifuge effect).  :D
I am still around (I moved but not not too far), let me know it, all right?

mongers

Thanks for the intel. Duque.

I'll certainly give you a heads up when I try it out and inflict myself on the wider Paris area. ;-)

Josquius

Paris is supposed to be doing a lot lately on improving cycle infrastructure. More than London even which has gone all in lately. It does seem to be a nice cycle holiday destination in years to come.

Well. Except for the fact you'd be in Paris of course.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on August 02, 2022, 07:41:52 AMThanks for the intel. Duque.

I'll certainly give you a heads up when I try it out and inflict myself on the wider Paris area. ;-)

The current bicycle paths go through the streets I mentioned so you would have found (the hard way) sooner or later anyways.

Maladict

If you go and cycle around the Arc at rush hour (the actual traffic circle, not the silly back streets), I'll come down to watch it  :)
For good measure ride down the Champs Elysees afterwards, Duque and I will improvise a finish line.

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on August 02, 2022, 03:04:45 PM

If you go and cycle around the Arc at rush hour (the actual traffic circle, not the silly back streets), I'll come down to watch it  :)
For good measure ride down the Champs Elysees afterwards, Duque and I will improvise a finish line.

:grin: