If you were in the same position as Ukrainians are now what would you do?

Started by Savonarola, March 14, 2022, 08:30:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you were in the same position as Ukrainians are now what would you do?

Stay and fight
27 (73%)
Stay but not fight
2 (5.4%)
Stay and collaborate
0 (0%)
Flee
8 (21.6%)

Total Members Voted: 37

celedhring

I don't think I have any useful combat skill besides making the enemy waste a bullet on me.

CountDeMoney

The Brain

Quote from: Threviel on March 14, 2022, 09:40:53 AM
Quote from: The Brain on March 14, 2022, 09:07:54 AM
Quote from: Threviel on March 14, 2022, 08:55:39 AMGTFO ASAP

Would that be compatible with Lag (1994:1809) om totalförsvarsplikt (Swedish law regulating conscription and similar)?

I would be in Spain with my RV a week/month before the Russkies invade. They had months of warning.

Also, I did not serve and I have no war placement.

Will you come back after the rest of us have fought off the Russians?

Even people who have never served and have no war placement are legally obliged to help the war effort.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

One thing I've always wondered and I don't know how it could really get implemented, I wonder if you might have any input on this.

I think that almost all of us, a bunch of middle-aged white collar nerds, would be almost surely useless in a combat situation, due to total lack of experience, skill or even fitness. Then again, we could almost surely be rather useful in a general staff kind of role, in the areas that deal with the planning, IT, logistics, etc, side of things.

So in a context like the Ukranian, of general mobilization of the population, how feasible is it to bring people like us to positions like those previously mentioned where we'd be more useful rather than having one more lousy militiaman?

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on March 14, 2022, 10:12:48 AMI don't think I have any useful combat skill besides making the enemy waste a bullet on me.

How did you get away from military service back in the day? I was deemed way too near sighted to serve.  :P

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

Complex theoretical as what exactly is changing?
Assuming all is the same except I'm Ukranian and live in Ukraine then flee obviously.
Head off to Switzerland, get married so I can stay, and keep earning my decent sized salary, pumping as much as I can afford into the fight and turning my time and energy onto the online battleground.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on March 14, 2022, 10:29:58 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 14, 2022, 10:12:48 AMI don't think I have any useful combat skill besides making the enemy waste a bullet on me.

How did you get away from military service back in the day? I was deemed way too near sighted to serve.  :P

I kept getting student deferrals, and then the military service was finally done away with. If that hadn't happened I would have requested social service anyway.

The one good thing CiU ever did, btw. It was part of their deal with Aznar.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on March 14, 2022, 10:41:45 AM

I kept getting student deferrals, and then the military service was finally done away with. If that hadn't happened I would have requested social service anyway.

Same as me, then, although I did not ask for the last possible student deferral and went through the medical check up, at which point I was sure I was getting rejected anyway.

For a weekend (the time between I got a placement and then the medical rejection) I was destined to the Army at Valladolid.  :ph34r:

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on March 14, 2022, 10:47:23 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 14, 2022, 10:41:45 AM

Same as me, then, although I did not ask for the last possible student deferral and went through the medical check up, at which point I was sure I was getting rejected anyway.

For a weekend (the time between I got a placement and then the medical rejection) I was destined to the Army at Valladolid.  :ph34r:

I tried to argue my hearing issues too (My right ear is deaf), but the only thing they gave me is dispensation of serving with weapons.

Jacob

I'd probably stay and fight. Hopefully I'd be able to do something suitable for my age and skillset. Luckily my boy would be too young to have to stay.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Habbaku on March 14, 2022, 10:35:18 AMI would form a Uniate Freikorps and head to the front.

Uniate is now seen as a religious slur. But then, Freikorps is not exactly popular nor known these days.
Try corps-franc for a somewhat more PC version.

As for me, I doubt I could be part of a Red Dawn-style insurgency, so be it in France or Portugal (if Russians had managed to sweep across the continent...) probably second or third-line territorial defense (bespectacled would not be a no-no in this case).

Barrister

Send the wife and kids to safety, I will stay and fight.

If both of my grandfathers would volunteer to fight in WWII when it wasn't even our country under direct threat then how could I not volunteer?

Now bein gin the back half of my 40s with no military training whatsoever I don't know if they'd take me, but I would volunteer.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

FunkMonk

I saw these survey results posted on Twitter the other day and conservative Twitter was LOLing about how cowardly and traitorous Democrats were (Dem response was 40 percent stay and fight, 52 percent leave the country) compared to our brave, virtuous patriots, Republicans.  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

DGuller

Obviously you can't know what you're going to do until you're in the situation, and thankfully I've never been in that situation in my life (yet).  I would probably do what is expected of me, and if I'm expected to stay in Ukraine and potentially fight, then that's what I would do (but obviously I would be fairly useless unless my analytical expertise is made use of).  Thinking pragmatically, I think I would be an outcast if I evacuated from Ukraine while my peers stayed and fought.