If you were in the same position as Ukrainians are now what would you do?

Started by Savonarola, March 14, 2022, 08:30:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you were in the same position as Ukrainians are now what would you do?

Stay and fight
27 (73%)
Stay but not fight
2 (5.4%)
Stay and collaborate
0 (0%)
Flee
8 (21.6%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Threviel

Quote from: The Brain on March 14, 2022, 10:25:51 AM
Quote from: Threviel on March 14, 2022, 09:40:53 AM
Quote from: The Brain on March 14, 2022, 09:07:54 AM
Quote from: Threviel on March 14, 2022, 08:55:39 AMGTFO ASAP

Would that be compatible with Lag (1994:1809) om totalförsvarsplikt (Swedish law regulating conscription and similar)?

I would be in Spain with my RV a week/month before the Russkies invade. They had months of warning.

Also, I did not serve and I have no war placement.

Will you come back after the rest of us have fought off the Russians?

Even people who have never served and have no war placement are legally obliged to help the war effort.

Of course, I have property.

And only those present in Sweden, I won't be present.

Savonarola

Quote from: Josquius on March 14, 2022, 10:37:34 AMComplex theoretical as what exactly is changing?
Assuming all is the same except I'm Ukranian and live in Ukraine then flee obviously.
Head off to Switzerland, get married so I can stay, and keep earning my decent sized salary, pumping as much as I can afford into the fight and turning my time and energy onto the online battleground.

If it were the United Kingdom being attacked by a corrupt authoritarian regime would your answer change?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

crazy canuck

A large part of what would influence my thinking is my life is here.  Everything I have achieved is here.  The only part of what I have which is easily transferred to another safe country is money.  But the meaningful parts of my life (including my boys who would be required to fight) would be here.  How could I sleep if I left?  I suspect a lot of Ukrainians are motivated by the same things.

The Brain

Quote from: Threviel on March 14, 2022, 12:09:55 PM

Would that be compatible with Lag (1994:1809) om totalförsvarsplikt (Swedish law regulating conscription and similar)?

I would be in Spain with my RV a week/month before the Russkies invade. They had months of warning.

Even people who have never served and have no war placement are legally obliged to help the war effort.

I rarely say this on Languish, but you make me sick.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Quote from: Savonarola on March 14, 2022, 12:12:48 PM
Quote from: Josquius on March 14, 2022, 10:37:34 AMComplex theoretical as what exactly is changing?
Assuming all is the same except I'm Ukranian and live in Ukraine then flee obviously.
Head off to Switzerland, get married so I can stay, and keep earning my decent sized salary, pumping as much as I can afford into the fight and turning my time and energy onto the online battleground.

If it were the United Kingdom being attacked by a corrupt authoritarian regime would your answer change?

No.
Even putting aside that its personally by far the best choice I could help more well behind the lines than as another incompetent bullet sponge.
Plus if its the UK involved then getting the hell out before the bombs fly is probably for the best. Not that it would up my chances of survival too much. Goodbye world.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

And what happens if the Russians are not fought off because enough people decided to let others take up the burden?  Its a classic free rider problem.

Threviel

Quote from: The Brain on March 14, 2022, 12:51:26 PM

I rarely say this on Languish, but you make me sick.

If I thought that we hade the slightest chance I would get my family out and then stay and fight. But Reinfeldt in a borderline treasonous way dismantled what remained of our defense and it hasn't been rebuilt fast enough.

We could join NATO now and then the Russians can't touch us.

When our leaders are traitors or borderline traitors I won't die in an avoidable war we can only lose.

PDH

If my country were invaded by an outside aggressor bent on conquest, I would volunteer even as useless as I am.

I do not have military skills, but I can haul things.  I have 20 years in Shipping, and I have held a gun before.  When it comes down to protecting, even if it is an imagined community, I would be there.  My father volunteered at the end of World War 2 (even though he was only 17), my Grandfather fought in World War I...neither of them had useful skills to the war effort (and my grandfather caught a bullet in the chest with the 1st Infantry in France in 1918).
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Threviel

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 14, 2022, 01:05:13 PM

And what happens if the Russians are not fought off because enough people decided to let others take up the burden?  Its a classic free rider problem.

If it's a Ukraine problem Sweden stands alone. If it's a general war with NATO on our side I would definitely fight.

crazy canuck

We are talking about a Ukraine problem.  If it is a full NATO engagement, you would not be needed and all of us would likely just get in the way of people who know what they are doing. In other words the only time you would be needed is in the Ukraine's situation.

Razgovory

Well, I volunteered for the Army twice before but this time they can't reject me simply because I'm too unstable!  Realistically I'd make a terrible soldier: I'm fat, old, grumpy, dull-witted, and cowardly.  Also the mental instability thing.  I could drive a truck though!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Threviel

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 14, 2022, 01:21:58 PMWe are talking about a Ukraine problem.  If it is a full NATO engagement, you would not be needed and all of us would likely just get in the way of people who know what they are doing. In other words the only time you would be needed is in the Ukraine's situation.

If Sweden gets into a Ukraine situation it is because of our political leadership chooses to put us there, either by not joining NATO or by dismantling our defence. If Russia were to attack Sweden in isolation it would be quickly over and I would not be one of the casualties in that war.

We have every opportunity to get into NATO and safety, alas it would take too many decades to properly rebuild our army into a force that could hold off Russia.

I will not die because our leaders are doing a worse job than a five-year old.

merithyn

I'd stay and support medical personnel. I doubt anyone would want me handling a gun.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Maladict

I would try to make myself as useful as possible to the war effort. If that means fighting so be it.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

I would stay and fight, but as with others here "fight" would be rather limited by age and general fitness.  I could be useful in an engineering or maintenance unit.  Were I over there now I would totally be one of those guys roaming around finding poor, abandoned Russian hardware and giving them the furever homes they deserve with the Ukrainian Army.