If you were in the same position as Ukrainians are now what would you do?

Started by Savonarola, March 14, 2022, 08:30:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you were in the same position as Ukrainians are now what would you do?

Stay and fight
27 (73%)
Stay but not fight
2 (5.4%)
Stay and collaborate
0 (0%)
Flee
8 (21.6%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Savonarola

I saw Question 8 on this poll from Quinnipiac University referenced in a couple editorial columns and I'm curious how Languish would respond.

With the caveat that you never really know what you'd do until you're actually there; I think (or at least I'd like to think) that I would stay and fight.  As a radio engineer I have skills that an insurgency would need; and I would feel guilty for the rest of my life if I didn't.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Grey Fox

I'd fight. I'm a really bad shot but I have electronics skills that can probably be useful.

I would get my kids to safety first, tho.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Stay and fight. An unprovoked Russian invasion was exactly what we prepared for in the army.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Richard Hakluyt

I'm not sure. I'm 65 years old now and have an eye condition, I wouldn't last two minutes on the front line.

But maybe there is some worthwhile stuff to be done back in the city  :hmm:

Admiral Yi

The Man said 20-60 year olds stay and fight, so I'd stay and fight.

I've got no endurance so hopefully they'd push an AK into my hands and stick me in building and tell me when the Russians are coming.

crazy canuck

I would stay and fight and try to send Mrs CC to safety.  She would give me a withering look just before heading toward the shooting to see what she could do.

The Brain

Quote from: Threviel on March 14, 2022, 08:55:39 AMGTFO ASAP

Would that be compatible with Lag (1994:1809) om totalförsvarsplikt (Swedish law regulating conscription and similar)?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tamas

My situation is slightly unique because my old homeland would come under invasion probably long before my new home would.

Assuming its an invasion of Hungary, as first priority I would endevaour to organise getting my sister's family and my parents to the UK via friends in Germany. Although, I'd fully expect my parents refusing to leave their home empty, and I would fully expect the UK government not to let them enter. But I think for the short term at least I could have them seek shelter in Germany.

Then, I think I would try to look for the best option available to do my part. Considering my age and physical shape, I would amount to nothing more than a bullet-soak for the enemy, but with my language skills I'd probably do more good as a clerk-like role somewhere but I'd imagine such roles are not available on a whim.

If I could convince myself that I am doing my bit from the UK while the 100+ years home of my family is ransacked and burned down, I'd probably do so, but if I couldn't, I am not sure I could live with myself sitting it out abroad. 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on March 14, 2022, 09:13:14 AMThen, I think I would try to look for the best option available to do my part. Considering my age and physical shape, I would amount to nothing more than a bullet-soak for the enemy, but with my language skills I'd probably do more good as a clerk-like role somewhere but I'd imagine such roles are not available on a whim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0cPn4kxGIM

That's the ticket.  :)

Legbiter

Russia invading Iceland has to first defeat the US navy to have any hope of holding the island. :hmm: The logistics would be untenable. Passive resistance until the Russians GTFO.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Threviel

Quote from: The Brain on March 14, 2022, 09:07:54 AM
Quote from: Threviel on March 14, 2022, 08:55:39 AMGTFO ASAP

Would that be compatible with Lag (1994:1809) om totalförsvarsplikt (Swedish law regulating conscription and similar)?

I would be in Spain with my RV a week/month before the Russkies invade. They had months of warning.

Also, I did not serve and I have no war placement.

OttoVonBismarck

I would stay and fight as it would be my obligation--I am between the age of 18 and 60. I'd make sure my wife and kids were on a train to safety first, and then report for whatever militia/national guard equivalent I'd be expected to join. in an actual invasion scenario, I suspect long-retired military officers like myself would probably be recalled to formal service, but I'm not sure specifically if we're talking "if America was invaded" vs "if you were Ukrainian."

I'm in nowhere near the shape I was in my youth or even my 30s, but I still lift weights, still do basic cardio, so I could move around without falling over dead. I haven't maintained my firearms proficiency anywhere near regular, but I assume with some brief training I could at least serve some purpose, I'd have no illusions I'd be John Rambo mode, but I would at least be able to make a proper showing.

Eddie Teach

I would stay at home just like now. Fighting and fleeing are both too much work.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?