Lockheed-Martin F-35
8 (50%)
Saab Gripen
5 (31.3%)
They'll end up sticking with the old jets
3 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 15

grumbler

Yeah, the number I spitballed for the F-22 included restarting the production line (the estimate was about $250m each for 72 five years ago.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on January 05, 2022, 11:54:11 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on January 05, 2022, 11:44:03 AM
The "modern, high threat SAM" part I don't see. Who is Canada going to attack in this scenario?

Whoever the US is attacking, because we've decided to support them in the war they're fighting... possibly for very good reasons. Whatever forces NATO is attacking in response to article 5 being invoked.

Personally, I think Canada should be able to contribute meaningfully if - say - Russia does something stupid in the Baltics or if China decides to start something with Taiwan - even if I hope that such scenarios never come to pass.

It is hard to imagine scenario where Canada goes to war and the US does not.  Unless the US leaves NATO.  I didn't think of that scenario before, but since it is possibility you might want the best plane you can get.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Well the only time Canada has ever declared war on anybody was in 1939 right? Didn't have the US that time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Going to war and declaring war are not the same thing.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on January 05, 2022, 04:58:04 PM

Canada didn't go to war in WWII?

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 05, 2022, 05:19:25 PM

I think the point is that you may fight military actions - going to war - without declaring war.

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on January 05, 2022, 04:03:13 PM
It is hard to imagine scenario where Canada goes to war and the US does not.  Unless the US leaves NATO.  I didn't think of that scenario before, but since it is possibility you might want the best plane you can get.

Canada occasionally puts our military in harms way in contexts where the US is not directly involved, usually under the auspices of the UN; Rwanda springs to mind.

But yeah, mostly we're pretty closely aligned with the US.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on January 05, 2022, 05:34:00 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 05, 2022, 05:19:25 PM

I think the point is that you may fight military actions - going to war - without declaring war.

Canada did both.  Without the US - which is part of the answer to whether Canada would ever go to war without the US. 

In the modern age - given the political instability of our neighbours to the South, and Canada's commitment to NATO - that could well occur again.  Hence the requirement that the fighters work with both NATO and the US.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 05, 2022, 05:49:22 PM
In the modern age - given the political instability of our neighbours to the South, and Canada's commitment to NATO - that could well occur again.  Hence the requirement that the fighters work with both NATO and the US.

The US is in NATO.  If you can work with NATO, you can work with the US.  The two are not exclusive.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on January 05, 2022, 05:47:55 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 05, 2022, 04:03:13 PM

Canada occasionally puts our military in harms way in contexts where the US is not directly involved, usually under the auspices of the UN; Rwanda springs to mind.

But yeah, mostly we're pretty closely aligned with the US.

There is a always a possibility that Canada will want to go it alone for a political reason (such as Britain in the Falklands), but the chances of it are very unlikely. The possibility that he US will not be in NATO in the future are less unlikely.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on January 05, 2022, 07:05:08 PM
There is a always a possibility that Canada will want to go it alone for a political reason (such as Britain in the Falklands), but the chances of it are very unlikely. The possibility that he US will not be in NATO in the future are less unlikely.

For sure. One can imagine scenarios, but they're significantly less likely than ones where Canada enters the action alongside the US.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on January 05, 2022, 07:05:08 PM
Or a risk of an intra-NATO Denmark-Canada conflict which the US will sit out, like it does when Greece and Turkey go at it :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Jacob would be in an internment camp.  :cry:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on January 04, 2022, 10:29:23 PM
Quote from: viper37 on January 04, 2022, 08:05:59 PM
I liked this site's comparison, but I don't know how accurate the cost part is:
https://aviatia.net/saab-gripen-vs-f-35-lightning-ii/

That's not the Gripen Canada is looking to buy.  And the cost part is inaccurate for both the F-35 and the new Gripen F (though it may be for the Gripen D it is using in its comparison).

There's a reason that everyone who's had to make the choice between the two has chosen the F-35.  That reason may not apply to Canada, but no one has found the Gripen F to be cheaper in lifecycle costs than the F-35.

The current plans is for the Gripen E.  Gripen F is a future possibility, in a mixed fleet.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.