Random thought before bed: Fauci is a bad ass

Started by Berkut, December 23, 2021, 01:13:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

I mean, he's a freaking scientist, and for the last couple of years has been vilified and turned into some kind of Stalin-like monster.

But he hasn't quit. He hasn't said "Hey wait a minute! I am like, the most recognized, cited, and successful epidemiologist in my field! I don't need this bullshit! I am out of here!"

If he had, that would have been an entirely reasonable response.

Props to you Tony!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

OttoVonBismarck

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

He's not a politician tho.

Our Fauci-equivalent gets vilified too & he hasn't complained or quit.

I think they just don't care.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

I also applaud his patience and his unflagging good humor.

DGuller

I wish more good guy Trump officials were like him.  I really don't get the point of resigning when you're helping keep Trump from doing something stupid; you're just clearing the way for someone who'll do more damage.  I get that it's not fun, but more than half of the population doesn't deserve what's coming to them and they rely on you.

mongers

Quote from: Berkut on December 23, 2021, 01:13:36 AM
I mean, he's a freaking scientist, and for the last couple of years has been vilified and turned into some kind of Stalin-like monster.

But he hasn't quit. He hasn't said "Hey wait a minute! I am like, the most recognized, cited, and successful epidemiologist in my field! I don't need this bullshit! I am out of here!"

If he had, that would have been an entirely reasonable response.

Props to you Tony!

Seeing the bigger picture and his place in it; he's the reserve image of Trump.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

To be honest I feel like being compared with Stalin is probably not that bad for a guy who started in this role in 84 and was, in the long run, on the side of the angels on AIDS but had to deal with a lot of AIDS activism which was more up-front and personal.

Though I don't think they ever rolled a giant condom over his house - but this stuff isn't really anything new for him, like getting Larry Kramer's open letter - though they later became friends (after all, in the long run, Fauci was good) and Kramer was a huge advocate of Fauci in the early days of covid before his death: https://www.villagevoice.com/2020/05/28/an-open-letter-to-dr-anthony-fauci/ :lol: :wub:

He has also headed a federal agency for 35 years so I think - yes he's a scientist, but I think he's probably a pretty skilled politician by now too.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

It is remarkable that it is now heroic for a public official to actually do their job.

One of the big danger signs.

The Brain

Most importantly to Americans he's 150 years old.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 23, 2021, 08:54:06 AM

Who is our Fauci-equivalent?  Dr. Tam?  Since she's a she I don't think that's who you mean (and she really hasn't covered herself in glory)...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 23, 2021, 01:07:27 PM
It is remarkable that it is now heroic for a public official to actually do their job.

One of the big danger signs.

I would say that more like it is alarming that it takes a hero for a public official to do their jobs....
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on December 23, 2021, 01:10:33 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 23, 2021, 08:54:06 AM

Who is our Fauci-equivalent?  Dr. Tam?  Since she's a she I don't think that's who you mean (and she really hasn't covered herself in glory)...

Mine is Dr. Horacio Arruda.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Iormlund

Ours has done a terrible job. Essentially being the mouthpiece of a government that really didn't want anything to do with pandemic management.

He is pretty much a walking meme at this point.