News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Curse of the Flesh

Started by Eddie Teach, December 08, 2021, 11:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you could upload your consciousness to an immortal robot, would you?

In a heartbeat(my last)
10 (47.6%)
No, but if I could have eternal youth I'd go for it
5 (23.8%)
No, because I'm going to heaven
2 (9.5%)
The thought makes me pray to Shiva "Please, let me die"
4 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, I accepted it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Syt

How similar to a human body would the robot vessel be on a scale from "indistinguishable from an actual human body" to "box on wheels with a basic webcam and mic/speaker setup to communicate with the outside world"?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Push comes to shove you can just run videogames in your brain.  :P

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on December 09, 2021, 04:19:40 AM
Push comes to shove you can just run videogames in your brain.  :P

Well, you want to avoid a William and Mary situation. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Provided I keep my memory and mental faculties, am in full control and self-reliant, and have the ability to end it when I've had enough, I might consider it.

Tamas

Is it a copy? If yes then maybe if my family wants me to. Otherwise what's the point? Unless my brain is implanted into a robot body and kept immortal there, it would not be me, just a robot copy of me. I'd still die.

Josquius

Do I need a deformed pseudo-human in a jar inside my chest?
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

there was an episode of Sealab 2021 that dealt with just this serious issue.
PDH!

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on December 09, 2021, 04:40:42 AM
Is it a copy? If yes then maybe if my family wants me to. Otherwise what's the point? Unless my brain is implanted into a robot body and kept immortal there, it would not be me, just a robot copy of me. I'd still die.

The copy will be an AI which means it will be indistinguishable from the normal you except that it will be terrible at computer games.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on December 09, 2021, 08:40:56 AM
there was an episode of Sealab 2021 that dealt with just this serious issue.

Also a couple of very good Dark Mirror episodes - one with the benefits of doing it and one with the hell of it all.

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on December 09, 2021, 01:12:06 PM

The copy will be an AI which means it will be indistinguishable from the normal you except that it will be terrible at computer games.
:huh: So the copy is going to be exactly like the real Tamas?

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Caliga

Right.  This is the same reason why I contend that Star Trek-style teleporters wouldn't work.  You'd be killed the moment of teleportation, and the thing that materializes at the far end is an exact replica of you, but is not you.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points