News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Curse of the Flesh

Started by Eddie Teach, December 08, 2021, 11:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you could upload your consciousness to an immortal robot, would you?

In a heartbeat(my last)
10 (47.6%)
No, but if I could have eternal youth I'd go for it
5 (23.8%)
No, because I'm going to heaven
2 (9.5%)
The thought makes me pray to Shiva "Please, let me die"
4 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Syt

If the copy is indistinguishable from the (destroyed) original and preserves memories and personality and believes itself to be the  person in question: does it matter?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on December 09, 2021, 11:53:55 PM
If the copy is indistinguishable from the (destroyed) original and preserves memories and personality and believes itself to be the  person in question: does it matter?

To the person who is killed? Yes. To observers? Depends on how they felt about the dead guy.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

Quote from: Caliga on December 09, 2021, 10:34:47 PM
Quote from: Tamas on December 09, 2021, 04:40:42 AM
Is it a copy? If yes then maybe if my family wants me to. Otherwise what's the point? Unless my brain is implanted into a robot body and kept immortal there, it would not be me, just a robot copy of me. I'd still die.
Right.  This is the same reason why I contend that Star Trek-style teleporters wouldn't work.  You'd be killed the moment of teleportation, and the thing that materializes at the far end is an exact replica of you, but is not you.

*I* invented that concept!

Star Trek teleporters are mass murder machines. Nobody can tell, of course, since the new person thinks they are the old person, but they are not.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on December 10, 2021, 11:41:27 AM
Is it a copy? If yes then maybe if my family wants me to. Otherwise what's the point? Unless my brain is implanted into a robot body and kept immortal there, it would not be me, just a robot copy of me. I'd still die.
Right.  This is the same reason why I contend that Star Trek-style teleporters wouldn't work.  You'd be killed the moment of teleportation, and the thing that materializes at the far end is an exact replica of you, but is not you.

Star Trek teleporters are mass murder machines. Nobody can tell, of course, since the new person thinks they are the old person, but they are not.

That concept was well-discussed before you got to it.  :P
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on December 09, 2021, 11:53:55 PM

Dramatically.  One is an AI and would not feel the same feelings as the human being.  Unless the programmer is a lunatic and made AIs that can feel pain and boredom.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Well in the case of the transporter it is a biological clone.

There was a sci fi series where a transporter would create a clone on the other end but also leave the original version so every time you beamed around you created another copy of yourself. I thought that was interesting.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

but what is you? if its just a collection of memories then copy you is still you.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Continuity.
Though I don't see reason why a robot transplant can't have that. Link you to the robot so you're in both at once then turn off the bio body.

Quote from: Valmy on December 10, 2021, 11:59:27 AM
Well in the case of the transporter it is a biological clone.

There was a sci fi series where a transporter would create a clone on the other end but also leave the original version so every time you beamed around you created another copy of yourself. I thought that was interesting.
That was the prestige right?
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

You already died when the first cell divided into two.

Razgovory

Quote from: HVC on December 10, 2021, 12:17:03 PM

but what is you? if its just a collection of memories then copy you is still you.

But the memories are not real.  They are memories of events did not happen to the clone.  Imagine that before you went to into the teleporter I cheated you out of a bunch of money.  You go into the teleporter and the clone comes out and tries to sue me.  Would it have a case?  What about if three clones came out instead of one?  Would they all have cases, or each have a third of a case?  I say no, because it/they are different entities with false memories.  If it/they tried to testify about its experiences they could not without making a false statement.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

saskganesh

I will live this life the best I can, and try to help others along on the way. That's it. We will all die, which is sad, but it is what keeps us human. I will never lose my humanity and join the Borg. I will just say Good Night.
humans were created in their own image

frunk

Quote from: Habbaku on December 10, 2021, 11:49:04 AM
Quote from: Berkut on December 10, 2021, 11:41:27 AM

That concept was well-discussed before you got to it.  :P

Nonsense, Berkut is a time traveler from ancient Greece.

Darth Wagtaros

Yes.  They had plots where transporter clones show up and go about their business, becoming independent people. Makes me wonder why they never used it as a plot device to have some form of immortality.  THey just 'record you' every now and then and then use the transporter to make a new copy if something happens.  THey'd not go through nearly as many Red Shirts.
PDH!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on December 10, 2021, 05:40:00 PM
But the memories are not real.  They are memories of events did not happen to the clone.  Imagine that before you went to into the teleporter I cheated you out of a bunch of money.  You go into the teleporter and the clone comes out and tries to sue me.  Would it have a case?  What about if three clones came out instead of one?  Would they all have cases, or each have a third of a case? 

You've convinced me, I am now in favor of rapid development and use of transporter technology.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 10, 2021, 07:58:05 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 10, 2021, 05:40:00 PM
But the memories are not real.  They are memories of events did not happen to the clone.  Imagine that before you went to into the teleporter I cheated you out of a bunch of money.  You go into the teleporter and the clone comes out and tries to sue me.  Would it have a case?  What about if three clones came out instead of one?  Would they all have cases, or each have a third of a case? 

You've convinced me, I am now in favor of rapid development and use of transporter technology.

Except that the one lawyer hired to represent all of them would just clone himself and collect all the lawyers fees.

In fact, cloned lawyers would have the advantage that no one would ask which of them had the human soul.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!