News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is There 'A Hill You're Prepared To Die On' ?

Started by mongers, December 06, 2021, 09:18:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Cherry-flavored Jolly Ranchers aren't just the best Jolly Rancher flavor. They are the best hard candy period.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on December 14, 2021, 02:25:27 PM
Quote from: Tamas on December 14, 2021, 02:22:31 PM
BTW one thing about electric cars: I remember reading in passing that their batteries (like all batteries) lose efficiency over time which should be a consideration when buying used ones. Isn't that going to be a big problem once everyone driving electric though (or even when everyone will be driven around by rented robot cars)? That's going to be a lot of very environment-unfriendly batteries having to be produced constantly.

It apparently gets worse - almost all electric vehicles were not designed to have the batteries replaced.  So after 8-10 years a lot of vehicles may have to be junked that are in otherwise fine mechanical shape because the batteries are so depleted.

Hmmmm that seems less than ideal. It is not like people are not used to the concept that cars need to have their batteries replaced.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 14, 2021, 02:31:02 PM
Cherry-flavored Jolly Ranchers aren't just the best Jolly Rancher flavor. They are the best hard candy period.

:o
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on December 14, 2021, 02:35:01 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 14, 2021, 02:25:27 PM
Quote from: Tamas on December 14, 2021, 02:22:31 PM
BTW one thing about electric cars: I remember reading in passing that their batteries (like all batteries) lose efficiency over time which should be a consideration when buying used ones. Isn't that going to be a big problem once everyone driving electric though (or even when everyone will be driven around by rented robot cars)? That's going to be a lot of very environment-unfriendly batteries having to be produced constantly.

It apparently gets worse - almost all electric vehicles were not designed to have the batteries replaced.  So after 8-10 years a lot of vehicles may have to be junked that are in otherwise fine mechanical shape because the batteries are so depleted.

Hmmmm that seems less than ideal. It is not like people are not used to the concept that cars need to have their batteries replaced.

I think it has to do with the fact that on a lot of vehicles using the so-called "skateboard" design the batteries themselves are a major part of the vehicle structure.  But I'm getting well outside my expertise here.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Well that strikes me as something pretty important I should research before I get my next car. Most the electric cars I was looking at are in the 2012 or 2013 range so  :ph34r:

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on December 14, 2021, 02:50:26 PM
Well that strikes me as something pretty important I should research before I get my next car. Most the electric cars I was looking at are in the 2012 or 2013 range so  :ph34r:

What's even out there on the market from that long ago?  NIssan Leaf?

https://driving.ca/features/feature-story/the-big-looming-problem-with-old-evs-its-really-really-hard-to-change-the-battery
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Leafs, various Teslas, and a few EV Ford Focuses and a few Toyotas.

Though the Leaf is more my price range  :blush:

Zanza

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: Oexmelin on December 14, 2021, 01:12:10 PM
Quote from: Jacob on December 14, 2021, 12:26:55 PM
That's a fair point. I absolutely agree that the desire for cars is not purely the result of clever marketing but because they fulfill a range of needs ranging from the fundamnetal to the more complex.

It's probably too late now, but again, this never was my point - just a caricature of it.

Of course that wasn't your point :hug:

... so we can all easily agree that that point is not a good one, whomsoever choses to make it.

Josquius

Quote from: Zanza on December 15, 2021, 02:15:05 PM
Saw this on Reddit.  :lol:

[

Not a million miles away from what 1960s urban planners would actually have done if they could just wave a magic wand and have everything be complete right away.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on December 15, 2021, 03:32:16 PM
Quote from: Zanza on December 15, 2021, 02:15:05 PM
Saw this on Reddit.  :lol:

[

Not a million miles away from what 1960s urban planners would actually have done if they could just wave a magic wand and have everything be complete right away.

Yeah, thank goodness smarter planners prevailed before the damage was complete - at least in some cities.

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 15, 2021, 03:34:09 PM
Yeah, thank goodness smarter planners prevailed before the damage was complete - at least in some cities.
Or reversed. Like when, say, Lisbon's Praca de Comercio was used for parking (there's examples everywhere in Europe) :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

To be fair to them, I think a lot of it is they just didn't have the data to show what a horrid idea it was. It took some pretty huge mistakes and time for people's habits and settlement and business patterns to change to adapt to them to fully highlight the issues of car focused urban design.
Though I've no idea how the hell they didn't consider the fact that traffic flowing freely without traffic lights is dangerous or that forcing pedestrians over bridges and underpasses would be devastating for pedestrian flow and social cohesion.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

In Vienna this is what the Graben in the 1st Distrcit looked like in the 70s:

Nowadays it's part of the pedestrian area form Kärntner Straße via Stephansplatz to Graben.

Traffic and parking next to St. Stephen's in the 60s:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.