News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is There 'A Hill You're Prepared To Die On' ?

Started by mongers, December 06, 2021, 09:18:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on December 11, 2021, 03:13:57 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 11, 2021, 03:09:22 PM
It is now clear: We must kill Tyr on a hill.

On a hill overlooking the M25?

I'm thinking we kill him on a hill sacred to Tiw, the English equivalent of the Norse god Tyr.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

Tyr's the brexiter of cars. He want the outcome he wants regardless of the realities :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on December 11, 2021, 04:34:57 PM
Tyr's the brexiter of cars. He want the outcome he wants regardless of the realities :P
:unsure:
Changing the reality is the entire point?
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

The Brexiters only want to turn the clock back 70 years instead of 100+.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 11, 2021, 05:51:00 PM
The Brexiters only want to turn the clock back 70 years instead of 100+.
I want to take it forward 20 :)
██████
██████
██████

mongers

This afternoon I did 150 miles on public transport, that's tw0 long bus trips and a 90 mile train ride, plus 4 miles by car (my brother/sister in law, often insisting on picking me for the last 4-5 miles rather than let me walk in the dark) so not ideal but certainly doable; talking the talk and walking the walk? :unsure:

Also I did the same journey the other way yesterday afternoon.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Threviel

Quote from: Tyr on December 11, 2021, 11:18:49 AM
You should be able to afford to live in an accessible place and have access to efficient transport to get you anywhere sensible in the area for a reasonable time and cost.

I have all that. It's a Subaru.

It's all good and fun to believe in magical fairytale solutions, but it does make you seem a bit silly.

Josquius

Quote from: Threviel on December 12, 2021, 02:52:33 AM
You should be able to afford to live in an accessible place and have access to efficient transport to get you anywhere sensible in the area for a reasonable time and cost.

It's all good and fun to believe in magical fairytale solutions, but it does make you seem a bit silly.

In other words you don't have that at all since you need a car to get by.
Do you really think you're paying even a fraction of what having that car really costs? - do your taxes cover all the road maintaince needed?
What would happen if you were blind?

There's no magical fairytale about this. Many cities around the world manage to do it. There's solid research behind it and lots of solid actions that can be taken ranging from the small and simple through the more grandiose and expensive.
It's not even a question of how I wish thing should be. It's increasingly how things have to be. Climate change is beginning to really bite and the American style city ponzi scheme is collapsing.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

I don't even have a driver's license (even in LA I moved by using public transport  :lol:) and I feel fine without a car, but my lifestyle (I work from home 90% of the time, and live in the metro area of a large European capital) is fairly accommodating.

I agree with Sheilbh that we should move towards making cars less essential and the rest will follow.

Iormlund

Quote from: celedhring on December 12, 2021, 05:36:26 AM
I don't even have a driver's license (even in LA I moved by using public transport  :lol:) and I feel fine without a car, but my lifestyle (I work from home 90% of the time, and live in the metro area of a large European capital) is fairly accommodating.

I agree with Sheilbh that we should move towards making cars less essential and the rest will follow.

It really depends on what kind of job you (and your partner) do.

When I was thinking about moving to Barcelona with my then gf, I worked out that even living in St Joan Despi I was probably going to spend at least a couple hours on a car every day on my rush hour commute to and from Martorell/Abrera.

My brother works IT in Berlin. His longest commute (pre-covid) was 30 minutes roundtrip on a bike.

Threviel

Quote from: Tyr on December 12, 2021, 04:39:27 AM
Quote from: Threviel on December 12, 2021, 02:52:33 AM

In other words you don't have that at all since you need a car to get by.
Do you really think you're paying even a fraction of what having that car really costs? - do your taxes cover all the road maintaince needed?
What would happen if you were blind?

There's no magical fairytale about this. Many cities around the world manage to do it. There's solid research behind it and lots of solid actions that can be taken ranging from the small and simple through the more grandiose and expensive.
It's not even a question of how I wish thing should be. It's increasingly how things have to be. Climate change is beginning to really bite and the American style city ponzi scheme is collapsing.

We're fully in agreement when it comes to cities and densely populated areas, but there needs to be a battery of solutions to be able to handle everything from Shanghai to Sahara. In my location I need independent transport and good public transport around here would be a waste of resources. In other locations other solutions will be needed.

The one size fits all solutions where everyone should have a subway around the corner is ridiculous and a magical fairy tale exposing the proponents ignorance.

Josquius

Quote from: Threviel on December 12, 2021, 08:38:37 AM

We're fully in agreement when it comes to cities and densely populated areas, but there needs to be a battery of solutions to be able to handle everything from Shanghai to Sahara. In my location I need independent transport and good public transport around here would be a waste of resources. In other locations other solutions will be needed.

The one size fits all solutions where everyone should have a subway around the corner is ridiculous and a magical fairy tale exposing the proponents ignorance.
And who thinks there's a one size fits all lets build metro stations even in the Highlands solution?
██████
██████
██████

Threviel

Quote from: Tyr on December 12, 2021, 09:51:02 AM
And who thinks there's a one size fits all lets build metro stations even in the Highlands solution?

QuoteYou should be able to afford to live in an accessible place and have access to efficient transport to get you anywhere sensible in the area for a reasonable time and cost.

Implies that you do since you don't equate that with a car in rural locations.

Josquius

Quote from: Threviel on December 13, 2021, 04:37:33 AM
Quote from: Tyr on December 12, 2021, 09:51:02 AM

QuoteYou should be able to afford to live in an accessible place and have access to efficient transport to get you anywhere sensible in the area for a reasonable time and cost.

Implies that you do since you don't equate that with a car in rural locations.

1: I have no idea where you were live. That you were arguing against this suggested a city area. It goes without saying if your house is the only one for miles around then your particular house will never be viable without a car. Which is a difficult challenge to tackle.

2: I stand by the bit you've quoted. You SHOULD be able to afford to live somewhere with decent transport. People shouldn't be economically forced to live in crappy isolated houses where they've no choice but to drive.
██████
██████
██████