Ethiopia's Descent Into Civil War and Conflict in the Horn Of Africa

Started by mongers, November 05, 2021, 07:02:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

A thread within which to discuss the worrying collapse of Ethiopia's post famine success story.

And also the other conflicts in the region, be that Somalia and at a stretch the possible conflict with Sudan and Egypt over the Nile waters.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

At some point the topic just gets discussed to death, and you can't muster up any more energy for it.

Agelastus

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Tamas

Supportive post in appreciation of dropping the totally inappropriate Egypt thread.

Tamas

I know how to get this room moving:

Can you come up with any country with a worse recent counter-insurgency record than Ethiopia? Other than the US, of course.

Agelastus

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Tamas

Quote from: Agelastus on November 05, 2021, 11:07:27 AM
Afghanistan-as-was.

Could be, but is it fair to consider Afghanistan-without-foreign-occupation an actual country in the European understanding of such entities? It strikes me more as a "here we are letting the tribes be doing their thing" area designated by the rest of the world.

i.e. a fake country, created because no better alternative could be found. Like Belgium. Or Romania.

Josquius

If we go down that path then the same is true of much of the world really. A lot of people have the idea that because our world is built on westphalian nation states this is the only way things have ever and can ever be. It wasn't that long ago even in European history that nations in the modern sense didn't mean too much.

If we are going down that path then I don't think Afghanistan is the main "victim". That would be more places where nomadic ways of life dominated pre colonialism. Afghanistan has a long history of being a pretty settled place, even if not a united one.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on November 05, 2021, 11:38:57 AM
If we go down that path then the same is true of much of the world really. A lot of people have the idea that because our world is built on westphalian nation states this is the only way things have ever and can ever be. It wasn't that long ago even in European history that nations in the modern sense didn't mean too much.

If we are going down that path then I don't think Afghanistan is the main "victim". That would be more places where nomadic ways of life dominated pre colonialism. Afghanistan has a long history of being a pretty settled place, even if not a united one.

Lets limit it to countries still existing then. That leaves us with Afghanistan. And Belgium.

The Brain

Not very fair. Belgium has waffles, beer, and pedophiles. Not necessarily in that order.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on November 05, 2021, 12:09:55 PM
Not very fair. Belgium has waffles, beer, and pedophiles. Not necessarily in that order.

No mention of the FN ? For shame :thumbsdown:

The Brain

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 05, 2021, 12:22:52 PM
Quote from: The Brain on November 05, 2021, 12:09:55 PM

No mention of the FN ? For shame :thumbsdown:

Or "the sepulchral city".
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Agelastus on November 05, 2021, 11:07:27 AM
Afghanistan-as-was.

Not comparable.  Ethiopia's GDP doubled in the last 6 years (to 2020) with GDP per capital reaching almost double that of Afghanistan.  it's true that the country suffers from a lot of intra-regional and ethnic tensions but the current conflict was really a "war of choice" by the central government; it was avoidable and should have been avoided.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson