Ethiopia's Descent Into Civil War and Conflict in the Horn Of Africa

Started by mongers, November 05, 2021, 07:02:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 05, 2021, 12:47:42 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on November 05, 2021, 11:07:27 AM
Afghanistan-as-was.

Not comparable.  Ethiopia's GDP doubled in the last 6 years (to 2020) with GDP per capital reaching almost double that of Afghanistan.  it's true that the country suffers from a lot of intra-regional and ethnic tensions but the current conflict was really a "war of choice" by the central government; it was avoidable and should have been avoided.

Indeed. They thought they can overrun the rebels and now face the possibility of losing their capital. USA-level debacle.

DGuller

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Agelastus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 05, 2021, 12:47:42 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on November 05, 2021, 11:07:27 AM
Afghanistan-as-was.

Not comparable.  Ethiopia's GDP doubled in the last 6 years (to 2020) with GDP per capital reaching almost double that of Afghanistan.  it's true that the country suffers from a lot of intra-regional and ethnic tensions but the current conflict was really a "war of choice" by the central government; it was avoidable and should have been avoided.

The question was "Can you come up with any country with a worse recent counter-insurgency record than Ethiopia? Other than the US, of course."

So, the western backed government of Afghanistan failed to crush the Taliban.

Before that the Taliban failed to crush the Northern Alliance.

Before that the ex-Mujahideen government of Afghanistan failed to crush the Taliban.

Before that the Communist government of Afghanistan failed to crush the Mujahideen.

Not a very proud record, particularly with 2 different superpowers backing a couple of the governments for several years before pulling out.

--------------------------

And yes, the current war in Ethiopia was a "war of choice". One I suspect was intended from the moment the current incumbent became President and that may now have blown up in his face quite spectacularly.

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Tamas

I'd argue that the pro-western Afghan government was not an independent entity like the Ethiopian one, but a puppet state of the US.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on November 05, 2021, 07:52:19 AM
At some point the topic just gets discussed to death, and you can't muster up any more energy for it.
How often have we discussed Ethiopia? Almost never
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/05/nine-ethiopian-factions-to-form-alliance-against-government

QuoteNine anti-government factions in Ethiopia are to form an alliance, as pressure mounts on the country's prime minister, Abiy Ahmed, with rebel forces advancing toward the capital.

The alliance, called the United Front of Ethiopian Federalist and Confederalist Forces, includes the Tigray People's Liberation Front (TPLF), which has been fighting Abiy's government for a year in a war that has killed thousands of people and forced more than 2 million more from their homes.

Two of the groups, the Oromo Liberation Army (OLA) and the Agaw Democratic Movement (ADM), confirmed the announcement was genuine.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

The Ethiopian government is throwing entirely untrained civilians into battle; echoes of Stalin's extremism during the dark days of 41-42?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

Quote from: mongers on November 08, 2021, 07:18:10 AM
The Ethiopian government is throwing entirely untrained civilians into battle; echoes of Stalin's extremism during the dark days of 41-42?
Referring to this?

https://twitter.com/MapEthiopia/status/1457483721473503235
https://twitter.com/MapEthiopia/status/1457487568426225670
QuoteAcross the Amhara region militias continue to form to go to fight on the front lines. Pictures show hundreds of men rallying in western Gojjam before heading to the front.

It does seem like perhaps some standardization is taking place with this group in regards to rifles. Though they are obsolete and inferior to what they will go up against, it's better than the machetes which were being handed out last month. Will keep an eye out for trends.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

I mean, aren't these guys supposed to go against sort of guerrillas who also defeated a regular army? That's not the kind of enemy I would pick a fight with untrained.  I guess it will depend on their morale i.e. how much (and how validly) they feel they are protecting their families etc. by fighting.

Razgovory

We are about to see why simply giving someone a rifle doesn't make them a soldier.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017