News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

Quote from: Viking on January 18, 2012, 10:12:24 AM

Off the coast of W.A. and they are linked to a dutch shipwreck from the 17th or 18th century.

It's Dutch, I'll give you that. But I need specifics. And it's not some random obscure event no one should know, by the way. I've checked.

No, the structures are not a shipwreck.

I've found no website giving out the answer. So without the toponyms you guys are fucked and must reel the wheels in your brains this time.  So let the little white mouse work their treadmills. :nelson:

Razgovory

Is it related to the Krakatoa eruption?  EDIT:  Not Krakatoa,  the earlier one.  Tamboa.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I think you are going to have to define "structure" for us.  That could be anything from a harbor, to a castle, to a pile of stones.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Drakken

Quote from: Razgovory on January 18, 2012, 10:48:31 AM
I think you are going to have to define "structure" for us.  That could be anything from a harbor, to a castle, to a pile of stones.

Quotestruc·ture  (strkchr)
n.
1. Something made up of a number of parts that are held or put together in a particular way: hierarchical social structure.
2. The way in which parts are arranged or put together to form a whole; makeup: triangular in structure.
3. The interrelation or arrangement of parts in a complex entity: political structure; plot structure.
4. Something constructed, such as a building.

By "structure", I mean something built by men (here Europeans) with a purpose and a functionality.

Admiral Yi

A non-obscure Dutch shipwreck on Australia in the 17th or 18th century... :hmm:

Razgovory

Quote from: Drakken on January 18, 2012, 10:52:49 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 18, 2012, 10:48:31 AM

Quotestruc·ture  (strkchr)
n.
1. Something made up of a number of parts that are held or put together in a particular way: hierarchical social structure.
2. The way in which parts are arranged or put together to form a whole; makeup: triangular in structure.
3. The interrelation or arrangement of parts in a complex entity: political structure; plot structure.
4. Something constructed, such as a building.

By "structure", I mean something built by men (here Europeans) with a purpose and a functionality.

Yes, so it could be a harbor, a castle or a pile of rocks.

Drakken

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 18, 2012, 10:49:12 AM
Prison on Raine Island?

It's even anterior to that one. That one is the oldest in tropical Australia. My structure is the oldest in Australia, period.

Drakken

Quote from: Razgovory on January 18, 2012, 10:54:52 AM
Yes, so it could be a harbor, a castle or a pile of rocks.

Yes. But given the circumstances of what was happening, its use and functionality was obvious. Hence my reference to a purpose and functionality.

I can't say too much, otherwise I might give too many clues. What I can tell you it's that these are Dutch, they're old, have been built by humans, and are not leftovers of a shipwreck (if you can get the subtlety of that last part).

Grey Fox

Quote from: Drakken on January 18, 2012, 10:55:46 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 18, 2012, 10:49:12 AM
Prison on Raine Island?

It's even anterior to that one. That one is the oldest in tropical Australia. My structure is the oldest in Australia, period.

I have no idea. I'm just trying to out googlefu you.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Drakken

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 18, 2012, 10:59:36 AM
I have no idea. I'm just trying to out googlefu you.

I've checked that possibility beforehand, too. :shifty:

Viking

A lean-too or shelter built by the survivors of a dutch shipwreck of the west coast of australia?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

HisMajestyBOB

The Dutch built pyramids on the coast of Africa.
Then went inland and built Ayer's rock.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Drakken

Quote from: Viking on January 18, 2012, 11:05:07 AM
A lean-too or shelter built by the survivors of a dutch shipwreck of the west coast of australia?

Getting a little closer, but it wasn't a lean-to shelter. It was built for a very specific function, warranted by the circumstances.

Before you say I'm being facetious, I really can't say too much without spilling the beans here, so I tread carefully.  :Embarrass:

Admiral Yi

A fort built on Tasmania as defence against the savage natives.