News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexandru H.

I don't accept the Zirids as an answer  :P... they were Fatimid puppets until the Fatimid Age of Troubles...

Now... let's see what's been correct so far

A. Spanish Ummayids (Admiral Yi) and ***
B. Fatimids in Egypt (Admiral Yi), *** and ***
C. Seljuks (garbon) and ***

For Razgovory... I'm pretty sure it's our year 1000...  :)

Eddie Teach

The Ottomans were definitely around by 1620. ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HisMajestyBOB

Ayyubids for C.
Probably a North African dynasty for A. I don't know any of their names though.
And a Persian-located dynasty for B. Again, I can't name names there.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Alexandru H.

Ayyubids are a 12th century dinasty though...

Hints:

a) Afghanistan
b) Iraq and Morocco
C) Sahara

Alexandru H.

Answers...

A. Spanish Ummayids (Admiral Yi) and Ghaznavids
B. Fatimids in Egypt (Admiral Yi), Buyids in Iraq and let's say the Yemeni Rassids, even though there 9 more such dynasties
C. Seljuks (garbon) and Almoravids

garbon

Damn. I thought about guessing the Ghaznavids but then remained silent. -_-

The Almoravids? What shiites did they knock off? Can't be the Fatimids as they'd pretty much lost any influence out there.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Alexandru H.

Quote from: garbon on November 11, 2009, 11:19:29 AM
Damn. I thought about guessing the Ghaznavids but then remained silent. -_-

The Almoravids? What shiites did they knock off? Can't be the Fatimids as they'd pretty much lost any influence out there.

The Almoravids did knock a couple of Shiite smaller dynasties in Maghreb (even one in Spain) but that's not why they're important. They brought religious uniformity in Maghreb, which won't ever see another strong Shiite movement. In the same time, the Seljuks were destroying the Iraqian and Persian Buyids while a century later Saladin would demolish forever the last great Shiite Dynasty before the appearance of the Safavids...

garbon

So they had nothing to do with ending the period of glory...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Alexandru H.

Quote from: garbon on November 11, 2009, 01:22:50 PM
So they had nothing to do with ending the period of glory...

Until the emergence of Almoravids, Maghreb saw the rise of the Fatimids, the Maroccan Idrisids, all Shia... After the Almoravids, the Shia movement dissapeared completely from the whole North Africa and Spain (with the exception of Egypt), not to mention the rise of the islamic states from the region of Niger...

It was a truly important event...

garbon

The Fatimids power in the area was crippled before the Almoravids rose. Recall that the Zirids had already revolted and then the Fatimids in some way encouraged tribal marauders to run amok. They weren't lording over the area. The Idrisids tanked before the rise of the Almoravids.

I'm not saying that the Almoravids weren't relevant and that they didn't help with regards to enforcing their sunni rites, but your question was misleading. The great shiite powers were already gone by the time of Almoravids. They just ensured there wouldn't be another rise.  That's a bit different from the Ayyubids and Seljuks who actually went around toppling "great" shiite states.

Alexandru H.

They enforced the Maliki version of Sunnism. If you check out all the future great intellectuals of North Africa, you shall see that they are all Maliki. Coupled with the nomadic invasions of the 11th century, Maghreb was forever changed into a land of nomads and religious zealots. We're not talking here about a new dynasty that defeats an old one, but a religious wind dressed in political and military clothes. Also let's not forget that the fall of the pagan Ghana empire is a side-effect of the Almoravids... and this fall helped to fuel a new age for African Islam...

Caliga

Alexandru has violated the Caliga Rule.  :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Alexandru H.

Quote from: Caliga on November 12, 2009, 08:44:08 AM
Alexandru has violated the Caliga Rule.  :mad:

It must be a stupid rule if I violated it.

Caliga

Let me restate it for your convenience:

Romanians are to clear their history trivia questions with Germans before posting them.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Alexandru H.

Quote from: Caliga on November 12, 2009, 10:10:44 AM
Let me restate it for your convenience:

Romanians are to clear their history trivia questions with Germans before posting them.  :)

I have German ethnicity. I really have no need for this rule.