News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Alexandru H. on November 07, 2009, 02:25:19 PM
Ok, I seem to vaguely recall something...

Is it related to something called "Gotha"?

Edit: googled it and it seems I remembered correctly... of course, it was just a lucky hunch, I couldn't have told you anything more about it...  :P

Yup, the Almanach de Gotha, published in the ducal court of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg, called just "The Gotha" for shorts. :cheers:

Their bias was that they ranked German princely houses next to the current sovereigns of the different kingdoms of the time, thus making them equal in terms of prestige in the eyes of the readers, while simultaneously neglecting royal and high noble families from other parts of Europe, mainly Eastern Europe and the Russian Empire.

They ceased operations in 1944, when the Red Army entered Saxony, and burned their archives.

Alexandru H.

In 1377 Robert of Geneva led his troops into the italian town of Cesena where they procedeed to massacre most of its dwellers. For this act, he received the title of "Butcher of Cesena"... but that wasn't the only reward he got from his contemporaries. What did Robert of Geneva receive one year later, in 1378, and what did that "thing" came to be known as?

Razgovory

This had better not be one of those fantasy questions you've been asking.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Alexandru H.

Quote from: Razgovory on November 08, 2009, 09:30:52 AM

Yeah, he received the Druid Sceptre, with 4+ Enchantment...  :rolleyes:

Razgovory

Quote from: Alexandru H. on November 08, 2009, 09:34:14 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 08, 2009, 09:30:52 AM

Yeah, he received the Druid Sceptre, with 4+ Enchantment...  :rolleyes:

That "discoverer's of America question was in the Realm of Fantasy".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Alexandru H.

It wasn't... and Wiking managed to give the correct answer. So it was easy enough...

Viking

Quote from: Alexandru H. on November 08, 2009, 09:18:05 AM
In 1377 Robert of Geneva led his troops into the italian town of Cesena where they procedeed to massacre most of its dwellers. For this act, he received the title of "Butcher of Cesena"... but that wasn't the only reward he got from his contemporaries. What did Robert of Geneva receive one year later, in 1378, and what did that "thing" came to be known as?

Absolution for his crimes?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

PDH

He certainly could have absolved himself after 1378...

Edit: I just taught about this...time period in my class...not going to claim the prize as I cheated by reading up on it last week.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Alexandru H.

Quote from: PDH on November 08, 2009, 01:15:48 PM
He certainly could have absolved himself after 1378...

Edit: I just taught about this...time period in my class...not going to claim the prize as I cheated by reading up on it last week.

That's why the Middle Ages are the best.   :lmfao:

Quote from: Viking on November 08, 2009, 12:41:11 PM

The French, the Spanish and the Scots certainly believed that ;)

Viking

[/quote]

I was going to say Cardinal, but Anti-Pope?

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Alexandru H.

Quote from: Viking on November 08, 2009, 01:23:45 PM

[/quote]

He became Pope... but why was his election so important?

Drakken

Quote from: Alexandru H. on November 08, 2009, 01:28:17 PM

[/quote]

Because he became Clement VII, the first Anti-pope, while Urbain VI was still murdering Cardinals sitting on Saint-Peter's throne. I always mix up those two.  :blush:

So technically, Viking got it right.

Viking

By the 1880's Darwin and his theory of evolution were considered flawed. What was the flaw and how was it corrected?

Alexandru H.

Quote from: Drakken on November 08, 2009, 02:30:54 PM
Quote from: Alexandru H. on November 08, 2009, 01:28:17 PM

Because he became Clement VII, the first Anti-pope, while Urbain VI was still murdering Cardinals sitting on Saint-Peter's throne. I always mix up those two.  :blush:

So technically, Viking got it right.
[/quote]

He was by no means the first Anti-pope. He was actually among the last...

But since Viking guessed the main question... The election of the Butcher of Cesena gave birth to the Great Schism. France, Scotland, the Spanish kingdoms, Norway and Denmark sided with him while Italy, most of Germany, England, Poland and Hungary got behind Urban VI...

Alexandru H.

Quote from: Viking on November 08, 2009, 02:44:07 PM
By the 1880's Darwin and his theory of evolution were considered flawed. What was the flaw and how was it corrected?

He wasn't able to demonstrate what Mendel later showed to be true in how inheritance of traits works?