News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Conspicuous consumption vs conspicuous savings

Started by Josquius, September 06, 2021, 03:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Where do you most fall on the dichotomy?

Conspicuous consumption
4 (26.7%)
Conspicuous savings
7 (46.7%)
Prawn cocktail
4 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Josquius

As I was in lidl today I got to thinking and came up with a basic theory to help in describing the world.

There are basically two types of people.
Those who indulge in conspicuous consumption. Who even when poor want to make it seem like they are spending more than they really are...
Then there are conspicuous savers. Those who even if mega rich would delight in finding a two for one offer on steaks and making a saving.

I am coming around to thinking this is a fundamental divide in the UK today, possibly elsewhere too. But I won't go into it too much lest I make your mind up for you and influence you to one option over the other more than I already have.
So choose. It's a binary damn it. Visible spending or visible saving?
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Strong disagree here. I am very much someone caught in an endless cycle of inconspicuous consumption.

I don't spend to show anyone want I'm spending I just have zero self control so find my costs always expand to match my income (this is why I don't have a flat or a deposit). It's not because I'm buying anything flash or going out more - it's more things like being in a bookshop and deciding to buy three books instead of one, or grabbing a takeaway too often because I just can't be arsed, or letting that gym subscription linger because I really do mean (need) to go etc.

None of it's for anyone else or something I'm proud of, I'm just very bad at having even a minimum of self-control - and that also goes for sweet treats or grabbing a coffee :ph34r:

Edit: And the same goes with time actually - especially with books/content I have far, far more than I can meaningfully consume. Not least because like intending to eat well and then deciding to just order a takeaway I also intend to do something good with my time and just piss it away :lol: :weep: :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

I'm neither.  I don't buy stuff so I can impress other people (that would involve talking to more people) and I don't care much about money either (depression is like that).  The biggest sum I ever had was 6k from my dad's insurance.  I ended up just giving it to my mom.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Tonitrus

Closer to saver, with exceptions.

I don't spend much on clothes...having an obligatory uniform for work helps...but from my civilian wardrobe, my fashion-sense is non-existant and very low-budget.  Except socks...good quality socks are well worth the cost. 

But I will, on occasion, splurge on some high-end gadget/technology-thingie.  :sleep:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

No matter how much money I have, I feel like it's never enough and I need more. :Embarrass:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

If I had to pick one or the other to describe myself, I would say that I'm somewhat more into conspicuous savings than I am into conspicuous consumption.  I do underspend relative to what I make, but at the same time I do often waste money just to avoid dealing with a hassle.

Richard Hakluyt

More on the savings side though it is not really very straightforward. I do use lidl and aldi for example; but when it comes to wine I buy that at a posh place (it is simply better) and get meat from local sources (again expensive but good). The search for grocery bargains leads to quite a lot of walking which is an important and deliberate part of the system.

Admiral Yi

To formalize what others have touched on, what do you overspend on?

I over tip.  That's about all.  Well, I do buy Grey Poupon mustard.  :D

Syt

I'm there with Sheilbh, though I have gotten better over the years. Impulse buying of books/games is my major weakness, but it's gotten a bit better.

I'm not overly penny pinching in my regular expenses, though I probably could squeeze some money out of it. And some products I buy for quality (shoes, backpack etc.), but not to show off. I'm more likely to buy clothes from C&A than I am to buy a Tommy Hilfiger jacket.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 07, 2021, 12:12:30 AM
More on the savings side though it is not really very straightforward. I do use lidl and aldi for example; but when it comes to wine I buy that at a posh place (it is simply better) and get meat from local sources (again expensive but good). The search for grocery bargains leads to quite a lot of walking which is an important and deliberate part of the system.

I buy good wine, local meat and produce too.  But that is about as far as my spending goes.  But I also do not go out of my way to get a bargain.  I don't really fit into either category.

Jacob

I don't know if I buy the dichotomy... my consumption choices are not really driven by considerations of conspicuousness. There are some things and areas where I go for fancy/ expensive/ the-sense-of-luxury and others where I'm habitually cheap... and I think the areas are somewhat idiosyncratic, rather than governed by any sense of philosophy. But maybe it's there....

However, in both scenarios I tend to prefer keeping it my business rather than flaunting it. If I spend a bunch of money, it's mostly to enjoy it not to have other people look at me and go "ooh, how fancy"; and conversely, if I save money it's not something I particularly care to make a big deal of.

That said, I guess I do come down more on the side of "don't flaunt your good fortune" and "I'm not ashamed of making do with little" rather than the reverse, which I guess could sort of be applied to the question.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on September 07, 2021, 01:04:44 PM
I don't know if I buy the dichotomy... my consumption choices are not really driven by considerations of conspicuousness. There are some things and areas where I go for fancy/ expensive/ the-sense-of-luxury and others where I'm habitually cheap... and I think the areas are somewhat idiosyncratic, rather than governed by any sense of philosophy. But maybe it's there....

However, in both scenarios I tend to prefer keeping it my business rather than flaunting it. If I spend a bunch of money, it's mostly to enjoy it not to have other people look at me and go "ooh, how fancy"; and conversely, if I save money it's not something I particularly care to make a big deal of.

That said, I guess I do come down more on the side of "don't flaunt your good fortune" and "I'm not ashamed of making do with little" rather than the reverse, which I guess could sort of be applied to the question.

Same for me all around. :hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.