Conspicuous consumption vs conspicuous savings

Started by Josquius, September 06, 2021, 03:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Where do you most fall on the dichotomy?

Conspicuous consumption
4 (26.7%)
Conspicuous savings
7 (46.7%)
Prawn cocktail
4 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on September 07, 2021, 02:21:13 AM
I'm there with Sheilbh, though I have gotten better over the years. Impulse buying of books/games is my major weakness, but it's gotten a bit better.

I'm not overly penny pinching in my regular expenses, though I probably could squeeze some money out of it. And some products I buy for quality (shoes, backpack etc.), but not to show off. I'm more likely to buy clothes from C&A than I am to buy a Tommy Hilfiger jacket.
Yeah - so I am very much a believer in that, I think Terry Pratchett, theory about spending more on shoes when you're poor because you can't afford good ones. I spend money on shoes, coats etc but am otherwise fairly cheap/lazy with clothes.

My day-to-day rucksack actually only cost £50-60 - but I got it in Georgia from a fancy leather shop and I love it. Made of really hard wearing canvas and proper leather. Had it for about 5 years and basically looks unchanged from when I bought it :wub:
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

I'm gonna agree with Jacob and Shelf here and say it's a dichotomy not really applicable to me.

But the sort of personality types that are into boasting about conspicuous consumption aren't likely the sort of people who'll want to post on antique forum/social media concept like Languish anyway.
So a lot of those characters will be posting on the likes of Facebook, Instagram etc.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"