News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Canada Election 2021

Started by Josephus, August 15, 2021, 10:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Real campaigning is going out and promoting your platform.

Viper is arguing that these days it seems to be, "vote for me, cause the other guy (or girl, or transgender non binary) sucks."

When did this happen? It's been a gradual shift over the last few campaigns, primarily picking it up from the U.S. style campaigns.

In this election, for instance, "Trudeau sucks" seems to be the general Conservative position.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

Notorious anti-vaxxer and movement conservative Derek Sloan, having been ejected from the Conservative Party, is abandoning his Ontario seat to run in Banff-Airdrie against an eight-term CPC incumbent. 

He's going to get crushed, and I'm happy to see him get beaten.  I do not like the movement, and I think a guy who started his announcement off with a 'Make Alberta Great Again' slogan probably shouldn't be elected to anything.  It's unfortunate that Canada is more and more ceasing to exist, and we're fighting our elections around terms set by the United States. 
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on August 20, 2021, 01:24:03 PM
Notorious anti-vaxxer and movement conservative Derek Sloan, having been ejected from the Conservative Party, is abandoning his Ontario seat to run in Banff-Airdrie against an eight-term CPC incumbent. 

He's going to get crushed, and I'm happy to see him get beaten.  I do not like the movement, and I think a guy who started his announcement off with a 'Make Alberta Great Again' slogan probably shouldn't be elected to anything.  It's unfortunate that Canada is more and more ceasing to exist, and we're fighting our elections around terms set by the United States.

Agreed on all counts.

Grey Fox

Another thing that is alien to the Quebec reality. Good luck, RoC.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on August 20, 2021, 07:24:36 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 19, 2021, 11:20:49 PM

I'd really like to see some real campaigning instead of fearmongering.

Alas , that's a thing of the past these days.

yeah, it seems so.  A former QLP minister once said that "campaigns ain't the place to debate policies and ideas".  Really.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

This should gladden the hearts of our Conservative sympathizers: Twitter adds warning label to Freedland tweet where O'Toole is shown as answering "yes" to the question if he would bring for-profit healthcare to Canada, due to missing and important context.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/twitter-labels-freeland-tweet-manipulated-media-1.6149734

I'm not going to argue anything about this specific action, but the degree to which Twitter gets involved in the back and forth of competing claims and general political he-said-she-said is a pretty interesting development. Where do they draw the line? How much does the public care about it? How much, if any bias, do they exhibit? And will they expose themselves to regulation in return?

Jacob

Insofar as the NS provincial election was decided on health care and spending positions, it looks like the federal Libs are moving to make sure they're not being outflanked on the left in a similar fashion. Trudeau (while in Halifax) has promised $6 Billion in federal spending for new family doctors, and - as my previous post reflects - the Libs are continuing to paint the Cons as a threat to medicare.

Josephus

Quote from: Jacob on August 23, 2021, 10:43:48 AM
This should gladden the hearts of our Conservative sympathizers: Twitter adds warning label to Freedland tweet where O'Toole is shown as answering "yes" to the question if he would bring for-profit healthcare to Canada, due to missing and important context.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/twitter-labels-freeland-tweet-manipulated-media-1.6149734

I'm not going to argue anything about this specific action, but the degree to which Twitter gets involved in the back and forth of competing claims and general political he-said-she-said is a pretty interesting development. Where do they draw the line? How much does the public care about it? How much, if any bias, do they exhibit? And will they expose themselves to regulation in return?

I think it's a very slippery slope. Note, I was against Trump being banned on Twitter.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jacob

Quote from: Josephus on August 23, 2021, 11:44:35 AM
I think it's a very slippery slope. Note, I was against Trump being banned on Twitter.

I agree it's a slippery slope. I am in favour of Trump being banned on Twitter.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on August 23, 2021, 10:55:31 AM
Insofar as the NS provincial election was decided on health care and spending positions, it looks like the federal Libs are moving to make sure they're not being outflanked on the left in a similar fashion. Trudeau (while in Halifax) has promised $6 Billion in federal spending for new family doctors, and - as my previous post reflects - the Libs are continuing to paint the Cons as a threat to medicare.
Incomplete and misleading statement. ;)
The Libs want to transfer 6b$ more, but only if provinces follow their specific rules.  It is ending most of the provincial autonomy on how they manager their healthcare spending.
Basically, same old Liberal crap.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

You have to remember Viper. Our friends in the RoC keep electing weak provincial governments and then turn to the Federal to fix the issues.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 23, 2021, 10:21:59 PM
You have to remember Viper. Our friends in the RoC keep electing weak provincial governments and then turn to the Federal to fix the issues.

:yeahright:

I live in Alberta.  AKA God's Country.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on August 24, 2021, 01:20:04 AM

Quebec: the Alberta of the east.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on August 24, 2021, 01:20:04 AM

Your government still depends on the Federal gov for their taxation.  I think it's because you love to complain you ain't receiving enough :P  Quebec has solved the problem 60 years ago ;)
We now some huge bunker-city, actually, it kinds looks like Metropolis in Transformers :P , to do our taxes. :cool:

crazy canuck

I have heard governments in BC called a lot of things, weak has never been one of the adjectives.