Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

If true this absolutely unacceptable.  >:(

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29777355
QuoteReport: Iran financed Syrian nuke plans
Tip from defector said to lead to Israeli strike on suspected reactor in '07

AP
updated 35 minutes ago

GENEVA - A top-ranked Iranian defector told the United States that Iran was financing North Korean moves to make Syria into a nuclear weapons power, leading to the Israeli air strike that destroyed a suspected secret reactor, a report said Thursday.

The article in the daily Neue Zuercher Zeitung goes into detail about an Iranian connection and fills in gaps about Israel's Sept. 6, 2007, raid that knocked out Syria's nearly completed Al Kabir reactor in the country's eastern desert.

Ali Reza Asghari, a retired general in Iran's elite Revolutionary Guards and a former deputy defense minister, "changed sides" in February 2007 and provided considerable information to the West on Iran's own nuclear program, said the article, written by Hans Ruehle, former chief of the planning staff of the German Defense Ministry.

"The biggest surprise, however, was his assertion that Iran was financing a secret nuclear project of Syria and North Korea," he said. "No one in the American intelligence scene had heard anything of it. And the Israelis who were immediately informed also were completely unaware."

Ruehle, who did not identify the sources of his information, publishes and comments on security and nuclear proliferation in different European newspapers and broadcasts and has held prominent roles in German and NATO institutions.

U.S. intelligence had detected North Korean ship deliveries of construction supplies to Syria that started in 2002, and American satellites spotted the construction as early as 2003, but regarded the work as nothing unusual, in part because the Syrians had banned radio and telephones from the site and handled communications solely by messengers — "medieval but effective," Ruehle said.

Ship intercepted
Intensive investigation followed by U.S. and Israeli intelligence services until Israel sent a 12-man commando unit in two helicopters to the site in August 2007 to take photographs and soil samples, he said.

"The analysis was conclusive that it was a North Korean-type reactor," a gas graphite model, Ruehle said.

Other sources have suggested that the reactor might have been large enough to make about one nuclear weapon's worth of plutonium a year.

Just before the Israeli commando raid, a North Korean ship was intercepted en route to Syria with nuclear fuel rods, underscoring the need for fast action, he said.

"On the morning of Sept. 6, 2007, seven Israeli F-15 fighter bombers took off to the north. They flew along the Mediterranean coast, brushed past Turkey and pressed on into Syria. Fifty kilometers from their target they fired 22 rockets at the three identified objects inside the Kibar complex.

"The Syrians were completely surprised. By the time their air defense systems were ready, the Israeli planes were well out of range. The mission was successful, the reactor destroyed," Ruehle said.

No comment from Israel
Israel estimates that Iran had paid North Korea between $1 billion and $2 billion for the project, Ruehle said.

Israel has refused from the beginning to comment on, confirm or deny the strike, but after a delay of several months Washington presented intelligence purporting to show the target was a reactor being built with North Korean help.

Iranian officials were not available for comment because of a national holiday. In general, Iran has been silent about the Syrian facility bombed by Israel. Syrian officials could not be reached for comment. But Syria has denied the facility was a nuclear plant, saying it was an unused military building. It has also denied any nuclear cooperation with North Korea or Iran.

The International Atomic Energy Agency earlier this year said U.N. inspectors had found processed uranium traces in samples taken from the site.

Syria has suggested the traces came from Israel ordnance used to hit the site, but the IAEA said the composition of the uranium made that unlikely. Israel has denied it was the source of the uranium.

Syria has told diplomats that it built a missile facility over the ruins of the site.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 19, 2009, 03:12:24 PM
Why?  Syria has every right to develop and use nuclear weapons.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on March 20, 2009, 09:04:12 PM

Since when have you championed the rights of 3rd world nations?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 21, 2009, 08:42:44 AM

Nobody is really interested in stopping them, so what difference does it make?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

I blame liberals.  Liberals and Euros.  And the Euro's will soon be turned into a Moslem Caliphate because they are a dying people. And indolent.  Almost as indolent as American liberals.
PDH!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on March 21, 2009, 08:46:49 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 21, 2009, 08:42:44 AM

Nobody is really interested in stopping them, so what difference does it make?

The Israelis seem rather interested, they blew up that facility after all.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

So Iran financed a Syrian facility based on North Korean plans that don't work which the Israelis in turned blew up.

I don't know what's wrong with this.  I have no idea why Tim finds these results "unacceptable!"
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on March 21, 2009, 09:51:59 AM
So Iran financed a Syrian facility based on North Korean plans that don't work which the Israelis in turned blew up.

I don't know what's wrong with this.  I have no idea why Tim finds these results "unacceptable!"
Well, when you say it like that... :D

1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 21, 2009, 09:36:47 AM
The Israelis seem rather interested, they blew up that facility after all.
And they were within their rights to do so.

Americans don't have the balls to get indignant about nuclear weapons.  Everybody knows that at this point the United States is a paper tiger, and that it is up to regional powers to take direct control over their territories.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Neil on March 21, 2009, 02:59:35 PM
and that it is up to regional powers to take direct control over their territories.

AnchorClanker

@ Tonitrus   :D

It's not particularly surprising that Iran would pay for Syria's nuke program, as Syria could hardly pay for one
itself.  Also, it's another indication of Iran trying to 'lock in' Syria as a loyal client state, which is partially the case
already, but not "all the way there".

The Iranians dislike the idea of Syria having an independent foreign policy vis-a-vis Israel and Iraq.
Tehran expects a loyal vassal when it comes to their dealings with Baghdad and Tel Aviv, and will  not look
kindly upon Syrian negotiations with Israel over the Golan, nor their attempts at making some sort of deal
with Iraq that is not brokered by and blessed by Iran.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr