Any Polish classical 20th century music fans here?

Started by Martinus, March 15, 2009, 07:43:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Just wondering if anyone here knows/likes Polish composers, such as Szymanowski, Paderewski or Penderecki. I have been giving Szymanowski a try recently - he requires some getting used to, but he is brilliant, imo.

Razgovory

The only Polish classical music I know is Chopin.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Razgovory on March 15, 2009, 07:47:37 AM

You should play Eternal Sonata then!
PDH!

Razgovory

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 15, 2009, 08:08:01 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 15, 2009, 07:47:37 AM

You should play Eternal Sonata then!

I had to look that up.  I will not play that game.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Queequeg

Once again, Poland sucks Russia's cock in something.  Stravinsky and Shostakovitch FTW. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on March 15, 2009, 12:41:25 PM
Wait, Poland had a 20th century?

1940-1944, when under the able leadership of Hans Frank.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Quote from: fahdiz on March 16, 2009, 12:14:26 PM
Penderecki is great, IMO.
Have you tried Szymanowski? His King Roger is imo absolutely delicious. It's a Byzantine-Sicilian "remake" of the myth of Dionysios.

PDH

Quote from: Cindy Brady on March 16, 2009, 12:56:14 PM
1940-1944, when under the able leadership of Hans Frank.
He put the polish on the Polish?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

The only Eastern European 20th century composers I really listen to are Stravinsky, Shostakovich and Part.

Knowing that, recommend me a Pole :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 22, 2009, 08:35:10 AM
The only Eastern European 20th century composers I really listen to are Stravinsky, Shostakovich and Part.

How about a pole dancer?
PDH!

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 22, 2009, 08:35:10 AM

Well, I'd recommend Karol Szymanowski then. :mellow: