News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is Gladiator a good movie

Started by jimmy olsen, July 23, 2021, 05:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is Gladiator a good movie?

It was great! It deserved that best picture Oscar.
11 (32.4%)
It was good, but it wasn't special.
14 (41.2%)
It was okay.
3 (8.8%)
I've seen worse, but it wasn't good.
6 (17.6%)
It was terrible.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 34

jimmy olsen

The Brain said it wasn't good and I object most heartily!

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Gladiator was a 60s Italian swords and sandals b-movie on a Hollywood blockbuster budget. It's an enjoyable enough movie but it's not exactly Citizen Kane or Battleship Potemkin.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

I'll repost what I said in the movie thread:

Gladiator was okay. An effective Hollywood blockbuster, but nothing more than that. I think people don't realize how much Crowe's larger than life performance elevates the movie. Take him away, and there isn't much to chew on, besides some action scenes.

I liked Kingdom of Heaven more (the extended cut).

Zanza

I enjoyed it a lot. Great acting by Crowe and very beautiful cinegraphy.

The Brain

A cartoonishly evil villain is rarely great for a serious movie. And this villain is sexually deviant, so we can tell he's extra evil.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

It's good.
Not in best film ever terrritory but certainly in the tier 2 of films everyone should have seen.
It helps a lot that there really aren't that many roman films this past 50-odd years.
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Quote from: Zanza on July 23, 2021, 05:33:37 AM
I enjoyed it a lot. Great acting by Crowe and very beautiful cinegraphy.

I enjoyed it immensely. Partly because it was the first big movie set in Rome in decades, in my recollection at least.*
Nowadays big action scenes tend to bore me to tears, not sure if I'd enjoy it now.
And there definitely wasn't much too it story-wise, it all rests on the two lead actors and now-dated CGI.

*edit: there was that weird Titus Andronicus movie with Hopkins, I should watch that again.

The Larch

Good, but not great. Did wonders for what it was, creating almost single-handedly a revival of sword & sandal films.

celedhring

Quote from: Maladict on July 23, 2021, 05:43:05 AM

*edit: there was that weird Titus Andronicus movie with Hopkins, I should watch that again.

I loved it, but it's not really set in ancient Rome. It's a super-stilyzed early 20th century setting.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on July 23, 2021, 05:54:51 AM

I loved it, but it's not really set in ancient Rome. It's a super-stilyzed early 20th century setting.
Yes - I absolutely loved that film - Julie Taymor I think and very theatrical.

But that was also in a period of lots of modern-ish Shakespeare films (Richard III, Ken Branagh, Romeo + Juliet). Most of them still hold up.

I like Gladiator - I love Joaquin Phoenix's turn and the score is great and it's fun :)
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

There was a Julius Caesar production with an all black African cast which transplanted the piece to an African setting. One of the best versions I've seen.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 23, 2021, 05:58:46 AM

Yes - I absolutely loved that film - Julie Taymor I think and very theatrical.

But that was also in a period of lots of modern-ish Shakespeare films (Richard III, Ken Branagh, Romeo + Juliet). Most of them still hold up.

I like Gladiator - I love Joaquin Phoenix's turn and the score is great and it's fun :)

I remember loving Brannagh's Hamlet when it came out, but I admit to not having seen it since. Romeo+Juliet is a film I adore and have watched several times. As for Richard III, the whole interwar setting felt a bit too easy, but the cast carried that movie.

I love Much Ado About Nothing, too. Utterly love it. I take some weird regional pride in the fact that none other than Denzel Washington plays the Prince of Aragon.

Syt

Much Ado About Nothing is great but very much carried by the chemistry between Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson.

I need to rewatch his Hamlet, I remember thinking it was excellent, and it had an amazing cast all around. And there'sof course Henry IV :wub:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

But to get back to the main topic: Gladiator may not be a great movie, but it's a great popcorn movie.
—Stephen Jay Gould

jimmy olsen

Quote from: celedhring on July 23, 2021, 05:27:06 AM
I'll repost what I said in the movie thread:

Gladiator was okay. An effective Hollywood blockbuster, but nothing more than that. I think people don't realize how much Crowe's larger than life performance elevates the movie. Take him away, and there isn't much to chew on, besides some action scenes.

I liked Kingdom of Heaven more (the extended cut).
Great acting is an integral part of a movie's quality
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point