News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is Gladiator a good movie

Started by jimmy olsen, July 23, 2021, 05:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is Gladiator a good movie?

It was great! It deserved that best picture Oscar.
11 (32.4%)
It was good, but it wasn't special.
14 (41.2%)
It was okay.
3 (8.8%)
I've seen worse, but it wasn't good.
6 (17.6%)
It was terrible.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 23, 2021, 10:51:31 AM
What did you think of the Netflix adaptation of the Trojan story?
Haven't heard of that? :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on July 23, 2021, 11:55:59 AM
It is very good parody.  Anyone who went to see it thinking that it was a movie about the 300 Spartans at Thermopylae walked away disappointed, but those who recognized that it was sending up Miller and his whole worldview about real men fighting monsters while almost naked could be entertained.  I know that there are people who don't recognize the movie 300 as parody, any more than they recognize the movie Starship Troopers as parody, but that's their loss.

If David Lynch's version of Dune hadn't been intended for us to take seriously, it would be up there, too.

Starship Troopers was clearly intended as a parody, at least to my eyes. My impression of 300 was that it was not intended as a parody... though as you say, it is laughable when taken at face value. I think that was the weakness of that film.

crazy canuck

Well if parody means a faithful reproduction then yes, 300 was a parody of Miller's work.

Jacob

Yeah as I understand it, the film was a fairly faithful adaptation of the comic book - and the comic book was unironically quasi-fascist.

crazy canuck

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on July 23, 2021, 12:28:46 PM
It is very good parody.  Anyone who went to see it thinking that it was a movie about the 300 Spartans at Thermopylae walked away disappointed, but those who recognized that it was sending up Miller and his whole worldview about real men fighting monsters while almost naked could be entertained.  I know that there are people who don't recognize the movie 300 as parody, any more than they recognize the movie Starship Troopers as parody, but that's their loss.

If David Lynch's version of Dune hadn't been intended for us to take seriously, it would be up there, too.

Starship Troopers was clearly intended as a parody, at least to my eyes. My impression of 300 was that it was not intended as a parody... though as you say, it is laughable when taken at face value. I think that was the weakness of that film.

Starship Troopers was clearly intended as parody, but that intent I think went over some people's heads.

300 was not intended as a parody, but some have found enjoyment in the movie viewing it as parody.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on July 23, 2021, 12:35:14 PM
Yeah as I understand it, the film was a fairly faithful adaptation of the comic book - and the comic book was unironically quasi-fascist.

Yep.  Although I am not sure about the quasi bit.

Valmy

It is good. Almost the archetypal summer blockbuster.

Kind of a weird moment in time, when a film like this could win Best Picture and a film like this that is not a comic book adaptation or a sequel to something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Like Starship Troopers, 300 took the original zany work and then turned the volume to 11, turning it from a serious work into a cartoon.  I guess its possible that that was accidental (this is a Zach Snyder movie, after all), but it looked too pervasive to me for an accident.

The movie kinda skipped the part in the book where the Spartans all take off their diapers to sleep, for some reason, though...
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on July 23, 2021, 12:36:16 PM

Starship Troopers was clearly intended as parody, but that intent I think went over some people's heads.

300 was not intended as a parody, but some have found enjoyment in the movie viewing it as parody.

My point was simply that it was funny to realize that the movie actually took itself seriously. It really was trying to present this maniacs as the good guys, the people we should be rooting for - and yet....they did so in a way that you would have to be about 13 and maybe just thinking about puberty to actually think "Damn, those guys are so cool and badass!"

Now, perhaps that same level of emotional intelligence is what the comic's author was aiming for as well - I don't know since I did not read the comic, but I guess if so I would have found that amusing as well.

300 overall was a pretty fun movie to watch. Kind of like the way Porky's was a fun movie to watch. But the idea that the guys who made that movie would actually think that is an awesome way to treat women and something that we should all strive for would be....disturbing.

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

Quote from: grumbler on July 23, 2021, 01:36:40 PMLike Starship Troopers, 300 took the original zany work and then turned the volume to 11, turning it from a serious work into a cartoon.  I guess its possible that that was accidental (this is a Zach Snyder movie, after all), but it looked too pervasive to me for an accident.

Frank Miller was executive producer on 300, so I'm not sold on it being an intentional parody of the comic.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on July 23, 2021, 01:21:55 PM
It is good. Almost the archetypal summer blockbuster.

Kind of a weird moment in time, when a film like this could win Best Picture and a film like this that is not a comic book adaptation or a sequel to something.

The plot was too silly to make for a Best Picture, imo, but you are correct that this was a good summer blockbuster kind of movie.  In those movies, you don't want to have to think about what's on the screen, you just want to absorb it.

And as for Master and Commander, it's doubly ironic that the reason no sequels were made was because the money types thought it couldn't compete with the Pirates of the Caribbean series in the "nautical movie" slot.  I don't think that the franchises competed for the same audience at all.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on July 23, 2021, 01:50:04 PM
And as for Master and Commander, it's doubly ironic that the reason no sequels were made was because the money types thought it couldn't compete with the Pirates of the Caribbean series in the "nautical movie" slot.  I don't think that the franchises competed for the same audience at all.

Pirates of the Caribbean was based on a themepark ride.  Master and Commander was based on a 20 novel series with impeccable historical accuracy.  Nope, not the same audiences at all.

But that probably limited the ticketsales of any future Master and Commander movies.  The beancounters at the movie studio probably had some idea what they were doing in not greenlighting a sequel.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

While I think we are in a golden era of niche content in many ways, it seems like studios will not even consider anything even slightly adjacent to mainstream stuff now.

So we would probably need one of those streaming services to make a series if we want a decent budget for something like Master and Commander.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Gladiator was really well cast.  Russell Crowe has great presence when he commits to a role and Joaquin Phoenix is always fun to watch.  Then there's gallery of talented retreads - Richard Harris playing Roman King Arthur, Derek Jacobi playing Claudius with better elocution, Oliver Reed playing Roman Oliver Reed,  and even former pretty boy David Hemmings showing up older and bloated but wigged and rouged up.  The story is pulped up nonsense and the history is about as good as Gibsonesque Men in Kilts but its fun and well paced.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson