News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ben & Jerry's vs Israel

Started by Syt, July 20, 2021, 11:53:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/israel-pm-warns-unilever-severe-consequences-ben-jerrys-decision-2021-07-20/

QuoteIsrael PM warns Unilever of 'severe consequences' from Ben & Jerry's decision

JERUSALEM, July 20 (Reuters) - Israel warned consumer goods giant Unilever Plc (ULVR.L) on Tuesday of "severe consequences" from a decision by subsidiary Ben & Jerry's to stop selling ice cream in Israeli-occupied territories, and urged U.S. states to invoke anti-boycott laws.

Monday's announcement followed pro-Palestinian pressure on the Vermont-based company over its business in Israel and Jewish settlements in the West Bank, handled since 1987 through a licensee partner, Ben & Jerry's Israel.

Ben & Jerry's said it would not renew the licence when it expires at the end of next year. It said it would stay in Israel under a different arrangement, without sales in the West Bank, among areas where Palestinians seek statehood.

Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett's office said in a statement that he had complained to Unilever Chief Executive Alan Jope about the "glaring anti-Israel measure".

"From Israel's standpoint, this action has severe consequences, legal and otherwise, and it will move aggressively against any boycott measure targeting civilians," Bennett told Jope in a phone conversation, according to the premier's office.

Unilever did not immediately respond.

Most world powers deem Israel's settlements illegal. It disputes this, citing historical and security links to the land, and has moved to penalise anti-settlement measures under law.

Avi Zinger, CEO of Ben & Jerry's Israel, said he was unwilling to refuse to sell the ice cream to Israeli citizens in settlements and was legally prevented from doing so.

"So when they (Ben & Jerry's) realised that there is no way that I will stop it, they decided not to renew my contract," he told Reuters.

Gilad Erdan, Israel's ambassador to Washington, said he had raised the Ben & Jerry's decision in a letter to 35 U.S. governors whose states legislated against boycotting Israel.

"Rapid and determined action must be taken to counter such discriminatory and antisemitic actions," read the letter, tweeted by the envoy
, which likened the case to Airbnb's 2018 announcement that it would delist settlement rental properties.

Airbnb reversed that decision in 2019 following legal challenges in the United States, but said it would donate profits from bookings in the settlements to humanitarian causes.

Palestinians welcomed the Ben & Jerry's announcement. They want the West Bank, East Jerusalem and the Gaza Strip for a future state. Israel deems all of Jerusalem its capital, a status not recognised internationally. Gaza is controlled by Hamas Islamists who refuse coexistence with Israel.

Orna Barbivai, Israel's economy minister, posted a video of herself throwing a tub of Ben & Jerry's into the trash. Ayman Odeh, an opposition lawmaker from Israel's Arab minority, tweeted an image of him smiling as he dug into his own tub.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

I will never forgive B&J's for discontinuing Dublin Mudslide.

Valmy

This could just be me but it seems like Israel is over-reacting.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2021, 12:03:08 PM
Ice cream is a vital national security interest in Israel.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Do those state laws about boycotting Israel apply if a company keeps working in Israel, just not the occupied territories?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on July 20, 2021, 12:19:27 PM
Do those state laws about boycotting Israel apply if a company keeps working in Israel, just not the occupied territories?

I don't know man. I was not even aware that states were passing laws requiring private companies to do business in certain countries.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Josquius

I think you could have communicated as much just by saying "Israel".

It is interesting how extra quick they are to scream anti semitism these days.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

I tend to agree.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on July 20, 2021, 12:22:28 PM

I tend to agree.

In isolation, absolutely.  I can't imagine Ben & Jerry's is selling a whole lot of ice cream in the occupied territories.

But there is an overall context.  Israel has been subject for many years to the organized BDS movement (Boycott, Divest, Sanctions) for decades.  I understand the thinking that you can't just roll over on the small instances, as they just grow bigger and bigger.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on July 20, 2021, 12:29:34 PM
Quote from: Jacob on July 20, 2021, 12:22:28 PM

I tend to agree.

In isolation, absolutely.  I can't imagine Ben & Jerry's is selling a whole lot of ice cream in the occupied territories.

But there is an overall context.  Israel has been subject for many years to the organized BDS movement (Boycott, Divest, Sanctions) for decades.  I understand the thinking that you can't just roll over on the small instances, as they just grow bigger and bigger.

Boycotting, divesting, and sanctions is slightly different than only selling your ice cream to 95% of the population.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2021, 12:32:15 PM
Boycotting, divesting, and sanctions is slightly different than only selling your ice cream to 95% of the population.

I don't get the "only selling your ice cream to 95% of the population" reference.  B&J is going to stop selling their ice cream in the occupied territories, which has a pretty sizeable population.

And B&J refusing to sell their ice cream in the occupied territories is absolutely a form of boycott.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

... but it a different action than not enaging with Israel at all.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on July 20, 2021, 12:37:18 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2021, 12:32:15 PM

I don't get the "only selling your ice cream to 95% of the population" reference.  B&J is going to stop selling their ice cream in the occupied territories, which has a pretty sizeable population.

And B&J refusing to sell their ice cream in the occupied territories is absolutely a form of boycott.

Ok fine. I looked it up and 90% of the Israeli population lives in Israel proper with 10% in the occupied territories. Sorry for missing the number by such a huge percentage that you didn't get the reference. :lol:

I mean not every company in the United States does business in every state or territory for any number of reasons. Would it make any sense to have a law requiring every single company that does business in the US do business in every single locality?

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on July 20, 2021, 12:38:24 PM
... but it a different action than not enaging with Israel at all.

Yes. And it is not like Israel is very big.

alfred russel

Quote from: Syt on July 20, 2021, 11:53:10 AM

Gilad Erdan, Israel's ambassador to Washington, said he had raised the Ben & Jerry's decision in a letter to 35 U.S. governors whose states legislated against boycotting Israel.

"Rapid and determined action must be taken to counter such discriminatory and antisemitic actions," read the letter, tweeted by the envoy
, which likened the case to Airbnb's 2018 announcement that it would delist settlement rental properties.

Airbnb reversed that decision in 2019 following legal challenges in the United States, but said it would donate profits from bookings in the settlements to humanitarian causes.

How is that kosher?

Private entities should be free to avoid doing business in places on moral grounds.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014