News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ben & Jerry's vs Israel

Started by Syt, July 20, 2021, 11:53:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2021, 12:41:45 PM
Ok fine. I looked it up and 90% of the Israeli population lives in Israel proper with 10% in the occupied territories. Sorry for missing the number by such a huge percentage that you didn't get the reference. :lol:

I was thinking of the Palestinian population in those territories and that it was nowhere close to being only 5% of the total population of Israel + the territories. -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Crazy_Ivan80

it's always funny how other illegal occupations (Northern Cyprus, Western Saharan, Crimea, etc) never lead to calls for boycotts from these organisations. Makes it look as if it's not really about illegal occupations at all

Valmy

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on July 20, 2021, 12:56:31 PM
it's always funny how other illegal occupations (Northern Cyprus, Western Saharan, Crimea, etc) never lead to calls for boycotts from these organisations. Makes it look as if it's not really about illegal occupations at all

Whataboutism. Besides Russia has actual sanctions because of Crimea.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

It's funny how ideologues make up shit and say "it's always funny" when referring to the shit they just made up.  The reason "it's always funny" is because you are so fucking predictable.  Makes it look like it's not really about honesty at all.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on July 20, 2021, 12:29:34 PM
Quote from: Jacob on July 20, 2021, 12:22:28 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2021, 12:03:08 PM
This could just be me but it seems like Israel is over-reacting.

I tend to agree.

In isolation, absolutely.  I can't imagine Ben & Jerry's is selling a whole lot of ice cream in the occupied territories.

But there is an overall context.  Israel has been subject for many years to the organized BDS movement (Boycott, Divest, Sanctions) for decades.  I understand the thinking that you can't just roll over on the small instances, as they just grow bigger and bigger.

So in your view should a private company be forced by the state to renew a contract it does not wish to renew?

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on July 20, 2021, 12:47:01 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2021, 12:41:45 PM
Ok fine. I looked it up and 90% of the Israeli population lives in Israel proper with 10% in the occupied territories. Sorry for missing the number by such a huge percentage that you didn't get the reference. :lol:

I was thinking of the Palestinian population in those territories and that it was nowhere close to being only 5% of the total population of Israel + the territories. -_-

Ah I see. Good point.

I was not clear if Ben and Jerry would still be selling Ice Cream in areas of non-Israel settlement. Like those Hamas militiamen might need a sweet treat after a tough day.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

In isolation, absolutely.  I can't imagine Ben & Jerry's is selling a whole lot of ice cream in the occupied territories.

But there is an overall context.  Israel has been subject for many years to the organized BDS movement (Boycott, Divest, Sanctions) for decades.  I understand the thinking that you can't just roll over on the small instances, as they just grow bigger and bigger.
I don't really have an issue with any of that in relation to the West Bank - and I'm not convinced there's been much rolling over on the issue of settlements from Israel in the last decade or so.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 20, 2021, 02:33:04 PM

I don't really have an issue with any of that in relation to the West Bank - and I'm not convinced there's been much rolling over on the issue of settlements from Israel in the last decade or so.

I don't think there has - but Israel has also been pushing back hard against BDS during that time.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2021, 12:03:08 PM
This could just be me but it seems like Israel is over-reacting.

Yeah, but they have a good reason. Several years ago Netanyahu gave a speech at the UN where he illustrated Israeli policy.  After the speech he wasn't looking at where he was going and ran into President Rouhani of Iran who was coming up to give his speech.  Both were knocked to the ground and papers flew every which way.  When both men realized who they had run into they frowned, quickly gathered their belongings, and stormed out.  Unfortunately, Netanyahu picked up the Iranian policy papers by mistake and has used them as governing and political policy ever since.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on July 20, 2021, 02:35:47 PM
I don't think there has - but Israel has also been pushing back hard against BDS during that time.
Sure - but in terms of protesting Israeli settlements and policy in the West Bank I don't feel like there's many options left short of boycotting (for products from the West Bank).

I think the soft diplomacy and concern of the Obama years were pretty comprehensively rejected - not least because in the Netanyanhu years Israel was playing at domestic American politics to an outrageous degree.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Doesn't boycotting products made in the West Bank end up hurting mostly Palestinian workers?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 20, 2021, 04:15:28 PM
Doesn't boycotting products made in the West Bank end up hurting mostly Palestinian workers?
I believe in Europe it's mandatory to label products from settlements "made in Israel", from Palestinian territories "made in Palestine". That ruling caused a lot of irritation in Israel - possibly for that very reason.

I mean it's not like there's much to boycott. Some produce/food but that's about it.
Let's bomb Russia!

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: grumbler on July 20, 2021, 01:23:19 PM

It's funny how ideologues make up shit and say "it's always funny" when referring to the shit they just made up.  The reason "it's always funny" is because you are so fucking predictable.  Makes it look like it's not really about honesty at all.

funny how that's always the reaction when hypocrisy is revealed.

Jacob

funny how funny this thread is

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 20, 2021, 04:15:28 PM

Sure.  I remember that coming up as an issue with Soda Stream - it's an Israeli company that manufactured some items in the West Bank and pointed out that fact.  The broader Palestinian community however still supports BDS.

Soda Stream eventually closed it's West Bank facilities in response to BDS pressure.