China is the world's factory, but its top firms remain oddly anonymous.

Started by KRonn, July 22, 2009, 09:40:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

http://www.newsweek.com/id/207381

Generic Giants

Huawei may be the best company you've never heard of, and that's a big problem for China. Founded in 1988 by a former People's Liberation Army officer with less than $4,000 in startup capital, Huawei has grown from a small importer into a growing giant—revenue rose 43 percent last year to more than $18 billion—now poised to overtake Nokia Siemens as the world's second-largest maker of telecom hardware, after Ericsson. Even a decade ago, China watchers were touting Huawei as one of the companies most likely to become China's first big global brand. Its headquarters in booming Shenzhen look like a Silicon Valley transplant, with high-tech laboratories, manicured lawns, and staff swimming pools. It made BusinessWeek's latest list of the world's 10 "most influential" companies, alongside Apple, Wal-Mart, Toyota, and Google. Yet Huawei is by far the least internationally recognizable name on the list.

Neil

China can never have a global brand, as China can't ever produce anything of quality.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

KRonn

saskganesh

humans were created in their own image

Jacob

Quote from: KRonn on July 22, 2009, 09:40:27 AM

http://www.newsweek.com/id/207381

Generic Giants

Huawei may be the best company you've never heard of, and that's a big problem for China. Founded in 1988 by a former People's Liberation Army officer with less than $4,000 in startup capital, Huawei has grown from a small importer into a growing giant—revenue rose 43 percent last year to more than $18 billion—now poised to overtake Nokia Siemens as the world's second-largest maker of telecom hardware, after Ericsson. Even a decade ago, China watchers were touting Huawei as one of the companies most likely to become China's first big global brand. Its headquarters in booming Shenzhen look like a Silicon Valley transplant, with high-tech laboratories, manicured lawns, and staff swimming pools. It made BusinessWeek's latest list of the world's 10 "most influential" companies, alongside Apple, Wal-Mart, Toyota, and Google. Yet Huawei is by far the least internationally recognizable name on the list.

It kind of makes sense though, doesn't it?  Huawei has apparently risen in the last decade while the others have been around for much longer.  Its rise has been in large part due to importing and to providing products for the domestic Chinese market, or if outside, product that has been rebranded.  Stands to reason that it's less known than the others, though I'm sure it'll change.

Josephus

Quote from: Neil on July 22, 2009, 10:04:03 AM
China can never have a global brand, as China can't ever produce anything of quality.

They said that of the Soviet Union too, and look at the great brands they went on to produce.

I can't think of any specifically right now, though.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

DGuller

Quote from: Josephus on July 22, 2009, 01:26:46 PM

They said that of the Soviet Union too, and look at the great brands they went on to produce.

Aeroflot seems like a brand recognizable by everyone.

Iormlund

I can think of quite a few, mostly in the weapons industry.

DisturbedPervert

They said that of the Soviet Union too

And Japan.

Jacob

Excluding Hong Kong and Taiwan, I assume?

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on July 22, 2009, 01:52:24 PM

Excluding Hong Kong and Taiwan, I assume?
It would appear so.  It seems that the guidance an anglophones can create skill.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

The Chicoms just can't do branding & marketing.  Just isn't in their DNA, it seems.  Lenovo might be an exception, but then again they're mostly reaping all of IBM's branding efforts.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Habsburg

I won't buy anything from the Student-Tibetian-Muslim killers until they allow the Republic of China to claim it's rightful place as the government of China.