China is the world's factory, but its top firms remain oddly anonymous.

Started by KRonn, July 22, 2009, 09:40:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on July 23, 2009, 06:16:41 AM
Huawei...
When I try and say it (no education on pronouncing Chinese stuff at all here) it comes out like 'ha way'....Which will be interesting for their products in northern Britain...

I can see the ads... "Life is a Huawei, I want to ride it, all night long."
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on July 22, 2009, 06:57:58 PM
Hmm, actually, mine disconnects from the network sometimes and I have to restart it.  My old Nokia, which I  lost as well, never did that.

Same here! :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 23, 2009, 01:14:23 PMI can see the ads... "Life is a Huawei, I want to ride it, all night long."

The spoof ads will be great too: "My way or the Huawei", "the Huawei to Hell" etc.

Siege

Siege

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Jacob on July 23, 2009, 10:24:01 AM
Quote from: DontSayBanana link=topic=1639.msg75140#msg75140Face it: you can't brand it if your customers can't say it.

Face it: you should not attempt a career in marketing.

I have one word for you, and then I'll rest my case. Daewoo.
Experience bij!

Jacob

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 23, 2009, 07:22:52 PMI have one word for you, and then I'll rest my case. Daewoo.

Yeah, sure, Daewoo vehicles are sold as Chevys in most places outside of Korea.  In other words, they brand their product so it sells.  If their marketing research indicates that a new brand serves their purposes they coin it (i.e. what Toyota and Honda did with Lexus and Acura respectively).  The "unwieldy" name of the original corporation does not significantly impact the ability to brand and sell their product.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Jacob on July 23, 2009, 07:46:46 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 23, 2009, 07:22:52 PMI have one word for you, and then I'll rest my case. Daewoo.
The "unwieldy" name of the original corporation does not significantly impact the ability to brand and sell their product.

Thank hod someone finally said that.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Jacob on July 23, 2009, 07:46:46 PM
Yeah, sure, Daewoo vehicles are sold as Chevys in most places outside of Korea.  In other words, they brand their product so it sells.  If their marketing research indicates that a new brand serves their purposes they coin it (i.e. what Toyota and Honda did with Lexus and Acura respectively).  The "unwieldy" name of the original corporation does not significantly impact the ability to brand and sell their product.

:huh: To brand and sell it as a Daewoo in an unfamiliar market, it does. Which, several posts later, is all of the point I was trying to make.

On a lighter note, if Doritos could use "Smoke on the Water" to sell chips, I don't see why Huawei couldn't license the song "Huawei(sic) Star." :P
Experience bij!

I Killed Kenny