News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Brits in spaaaaaaccceeeee

Started by Josquius, July 11, 2021, 01:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on July 12, 2021, 10:32:46 AM
200 years from now people will look back at these coming decades like we now look at the Mayflower and the times of the first North American colonies.

I'm not sure 200 years from now people will recall Branson's wank at the edge of space, but even if they do, I'm not sure they'll be looking at it positively. If we want to pull other historical analogies, they might look at him and his billionaire buddies like we look at the railway robber barons of the 19th century.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Probably more like Edison and Ford.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on July 12, 2021, 01:57:10 PM
Quote from: Tamas on July 12, 2021, 10:32:46 AM
200 years from now people will look back at these coming decades like we now look at the Mayflower and the times of the first North American colonies.

I'm not sure 200 years from now people will recall Branson's wank at the edge of space, but even if they do, I'm not sure they'll be looking at it positively. If we want to pull other historical analogies, they might look at him and his billionaire buddies like we look at the railway robber barons of the 19th century.

I dunno.  Contrast this with Bill Gates charitable foundation.  He's undoubtedly doing more for the general welfare of mankind that Jeff Bezos is spending $1 billion per year on Blue Origin, but look how little that seemed to matter once the pandemic hit and news about his divorce started coming out.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on July 12, 2021, 12:54:35 PM
Quote from: The Brain on July 12, 2021, 10:37:05 AM
Space flight taking place that isn't paid from the public purse it truly horrible.

I thought a good amount of the billionaire spaceflight developments are being funded by contracts with NASA, the ESA and other agencies with public funding?

Virgin Galactic is a Branson-funded project, but has no NASA/ESA interest, as it doesn't serve any of their missions.  It loses money and will almost certainly never return the investment, but Branson probably doesn't care.  It will probably be able to show a profit eventually since its costs are relatively low.

Blue Origin is mostly a Bezos project (he has provided by far the bulk of the money so far) and has landed some contracts in the tens of millions, but nothing like what it needs to become profitable.  It's gotten some outside investing, but not nearly enough to pay for anything advanced without a NASA contract.

SpaceX was founded by Musk, but has fund-raised in the private sector almost from the start.  It has gotten numerous contracts totaling in the billions and is considered profitable already.  It's pretty much a classic startup story.

Musk isn't trying to get himself into space, and SpaceX looks like the company that is going to dominate US spaceflight for the foreseeable future.  One of the reasons for that is that it followed standard fund-raising strategies and is far better capitalized than either of its rivals.  Morgan Stanley has its current value as US$100 billion, which is about 20 times the value of Blue Origin and 50 times the value of Virgin Galactic.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Thanks for the additional details grumbler :cheers:

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on July 12, 2021, 02:24:27 PM
I dunno.  Contrast this with Bill Gates charitable foundation.  He's undoubtedly doing more for the general welfare of mankind that Jeff Bezos is spending $1 billion per year on Blue Origin, but look how little that seemed to matter once the pandemic hit and news about his divorce started coming out.

Bezos spent more on charity last year than the Gates Foundation: $10.1 Billion as opposed to $5.1 billion from the Gates Foundation (and Bezos's wife donated another $5.7 billion).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on July 12, 2021, 02:53:42 PM
Thanks for the additional details grumbler :cheers:

Lumping these three together is easy, but makes little sense.

Bayraktar!

Jacob

I'd be curious what sort of charities they are.

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on July 12, 2021, 02:51:16 PM
Musk isn't trying to get himself into space, and SpaceX looks like the company that is going to dominate US spaceflight for the foreseeable future.  One of the reasons for that is that it followed standard fund-raising strategies and is far better capitalized than either of its rivals.  Morgan Stanley has its current value as US$100 billion, which is about 20 times the value of Blue Origin and 50 times the value of Virgin Galactic.

I would be shocked if, at some point, Musk doesn't take a ride on one of his rockets.  He's just both very busy and has more time to do so compared to 70 year old Richard Branson.

He might be holding out for Mars though.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on July 12, 2021, 03:11:15 PM
Quote from: grumbler on July 12, 2021, 02:51:16 PM

I would be shocked if, at some point, Musk doesn't take a ride on one of his rockets.  He's just both very busy and has more time to do so compared to 70 year old Richard Branson.

He might be holding out for Mars though.

It's just been announced that Musk will travel in the next Virgin Galactic launch.

FunkMonk

I'm imagining space railways that spindle throughout the solar system, radiating out of major hubs like Space Chicago, and small space stations withering on the vine because they didn't pay enough of a bribe to their local space billionaire so the spaceway got built out to a different space station.  :D
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 12, 2021, 03:48:49 PM
I'm imagining space railways that spindle throughout the solar system, radiating out of major hubs like Space Chicago, and small space stations withering on the vine because they didn't pay enough of a bribe to their local space billionaire so the spaceway got built out to a different space station.  :D
:lol:

"Welcome to Space Crewe - all change please" :ph34r: :weep:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 12, 2021, 03:48:49 PM

:hmm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Sq1Nr58hM

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Bayraktar!