News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Brits in spaaaaaaccceeeee

Started by Josquius, July 11, 2021, 01:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Oh, and if you haven't seen it yet, the SpaceX moon rocket is straight off the covers of 1950s Science Fiction magazines.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on July 11, 2021, 03:19:17 PM
Quote from: Syt on July 11, 2021, 01:56:22 PM
Maybe it's me, but I feel those billionaires all could put their money to better use than having their own private space race.

And, indeed, they do.  Look them up, and you'll see that they all do more than build space vehicles.

Sure but given the expense on this (if we look specifically at Branson's vanity project), there's clearly more that they could be doing.

Though I liked Stephen King's take "A rich guy flew in a rocket plane. Let's move on."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Securing a permanent presence in space will do a lot to solve problems here on earth.
Not much many steps have been taken towards that in recent decades so this is definitely a positive step in that direction.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on July 12, 2021, 03:13:46 AM
Securing a permanent presence in space will do a lot to solve problems here on earth.
Not much many steps have been taken towards that in recent decades so this is definitely a positive step in that direction.

Why don't we just do things that directly solve problems on earth?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on July 12, 2021, 04:50:34 AM

Because we need long term solutions as well as short term plasters.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on July 12, 2021, 07:01:34 AM

Is the long-term plan to abandon Earth and/or adapt to an Earth where the air is toxic/readily breathable? :unsure:

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on July 12, 2021, 07:21:17 AM
Quote from: Tyr on July 12, 2021, 07:01:34 AM

Is the long-term plan to abandon Earth and/or adapt to an Earth where the air is toxic/readily breathable? :unsure:

Less people on earth for sure. Though that won't be achieved by shipping them away.
More shifting industry and mining off earth.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: grumbler on July 11, 2021, 08:29:28 PM
Oh, and if you haven't seen it yet, the SpaceX moon rocket is straight off the covers of 1950s Science Fiction magazines.

Nice. :)

Tamas

garbon

Aren't we talking very long pipe dream there? After all needs to not only be technically feasible but also cost efficient.

Why not focus on closer long term goals like reducing reliance on plastics/more efficient recycling, transport efficiency, sustainable energy?

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on July 12, 2021, 09:04:44 AM
Aren't we talking very long pipe dream there? After all needs to not only be technically feasible but also cost efficient.

Why not focus on closer long term goals like reducing reliance on plastics/more efficient recycling, transport efficiency, sustainable energy?

Chillax.  Much more is being spent on those initiatives than on space flight.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on July 12, 2021, 09:56:58 AM

Chillax.  Much more is being spent on those initiatives than on space flight.

Do my posts come across as hysterical and/or angry? :huh:

Razgovory

It is unfortunate we must now rely on billionaires for aerospace advancements.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

A lot of science that has practical use down on earth comes from space travel.
Some of it with those problems you mentioned; Climate monitoring, solar power, and water recycling for instance.

As I said we shouldn't ignore the short term problems on earth. But at the same time we should be working towards the long term as well.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on July 12, 2021, 10:03:15 AM
It is unfortunate we must now rely on billionaires for aerospace advancements.

Same