News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Motorhoming in central Sweden

Started by Threviel, July 08, 2021, 08:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threviel

In 2019 I had a thread with a campervan trip around France. Last year I wasn't able to take a long holiday, but we had planned for a Benelux trip this year. Well, that won't happen.

So we decided to travel north instead, to discover what central Sweden has to offer. Why centeal you say? Well, Sweden is big, really big. Turned upside down northernSweden would end up in Lombardy or something like that. We inly have three weeks and do not want to spend that time driving.

Yesterday we took off. We live on the west coast, opposite Denmark so quite a way south in the country.

The first stop was Mårbacka, the mansion of the first woman to win a literary Nobel prize and still a celebrated author in Sweden, Selma Lagerlöf. Beautiful gardens and some nice bakeries made from a local specialty, roasted oat flour.

This morning we took a walk and ate breakfast overlooking the surrounding valley.

Grey Fox

Not that big.

Look forward to reading this.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

"The North Americans have entered the chat." :P

Also looking forward to this.
Let's bomb Russia!

Threviel

Well, not that big by New World standards of course.  :lol:

For us to get to the top of Sweden we have to travel about 1850 km. The south point of our French trip was about 2100 km, but that time we had 8-10 weeks, not 2-3.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Sounds good. I always wanted to see more of Sweden. Love the lakes with nary a soul in sight.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Trip sounds great and I agree with the plan to limit mileage.....but........what is the midge situation in central Sweden?

Threviel

Today we continued northward, to the Siljan valley. A comet or something struck here once, creating a semi-circular fertile lake area. This is in the county of Dalarna and is more ornless the heart of Swedish-ness.

Traditional Swedish dress originated here, the Dala horse also. The red paint that we paint our houses with. Midsummer celebrations. The most traditional sausage, the Falu-sausage.  And a lot more probably. A lot of what we Swedes see as uniquely Swedish is from this small part of Sweden.

We will stay in the area for a week or so, my brother-in-law and family is also here with their camper van.

Midge?

Threviel

I will also be on my phone all the time, so no fancy links or images. You'll have to google.

Barrister

Quote from: Threviel on July 08, 2021, 08:57:19 AM
Well, not that big by New World standards of course.  :lol:

For us to get to the top of Sweden we have to travel about 1850 km. The south point of our French trip was about 2100 km, but that time we had 8-10 weeks, not 2-3.

Pshaw.

Two years ago we towed our trailer back to Yukon (and then back home).  Edmonton to Dawson City, Yukon is 2500km.  We did the trip in 2 weeks.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Richard Hakluyt

Midge as in mygga I think (or so google translate tells me).

Threviel

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 08, 2021, 10:34:02 AM
Midge as in mygga I think (or so google translate tells me).

:lol:Yeah, i should have translated myself. Never ever heard midge in my life.

It will probably be horrible, we have installed a cheap midge net in the door, since a proper one wouldn't fit. Hopefully it's enough. The windows and roof hatches have proper nets.

Syt

I have dreadful memories of knotts in Småland. :bleeding:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Threviel

Quote from: Syt on July 08, 2021, 10:43:34 AM
I have dreadful memories of knotts in Småland. :bleeding:

Yeah, that's around where I live. Up around Jamtland they have enclosed walkways to their garages to not expose themselves. Far far far far worse.