News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How to introduce yourself to strangers

Started by Monoriu, July 21, 2009, 11:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

At a training session attended by dozens of people from as many different departments.  Out of the blue, a woman approached.

"Hi, Mono, nice to meet you.  I'm [name].  Give me a call if you need anything. k?"

I was certain that I had not met her before.  There was no mention of the department that she belonged to.  Nothing on her job title.  Nada on how she knew me.  And of course nothing on the trivial question of why I wanted to have anything to do with her. 

The only clue that I had was the manner of the introduction.  She assumed that I knew all that before we even met.  She was certain that I could find her telephone number out of 160,000 civil servants by giving me her first name and absolutely nothing else.  Of course you know me.  And if you don't, you should.  Or rather, should have tried to find out before today.  Just like everybody else. 

Anybody want to guess who she was? 

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

Weatherman

She wants to harvest your organs and leave you in an ice vat.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Weatherman on July 22, 2009, 12:12:20 AM
She wants to harvest your organs and leave you in an ice vat.

Ice vats are so 90's.  These days it's those exhibitions of skinless human bodies.

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Monoriu

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 22, 2009, 12:04:32 AM
She wants to have sex with you.

I asked who she was.  Not what she wants  :P

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Monoriu

Quote from: Barrister on July 22, 2009, 01:47:09 AM
Your boss's boss?

Nope.  I really would have made an effort to know everybody who are directly above me in the chain of command.  Besides, my boss's boss will not bother to introduce herself to me - it should be the other way round.

Monoriu

Only someone from the Personnel Department will operate on the "if you don't know me it is your fault" basis.  My "Career Development Officer", responsible for disciplinary actions, mandatory retirement, staff transfer, redundencies, and career stagnation in general.  The old one has been transferred out, and she is the replacement.  Investigator, Police, Prosecutor, Judge, Jury, and Executioner all in one.  Special Ability - assigning anyone to any office in the next 24 hours with the stroke of a pen. 

It was a message - I am watching you.  I hope she forgets about my existance and never, ever contacts me again.  Though I remember wishing for the same thing when her predecessor came. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Monoriu on July 22, 2009, 02:44:40 AMIt was a message - I am watching you.  I hope she forgets about my existance and never, ever contacts me again.  Though I remember wishing for the same thing when her predecessor came.

God, I wish North Korea and China would invade South Korea again, just so we have an excuse to shoot you people. If only to put you out of your Borg misery.

Grey Fox

It's still better then paying Taxes it seems.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on July 22, 2009, 12:02:32 AM
Your wife?
:lol:

Seriously...sounds like human resources or personnel or some such.
Have you asked colleagues about this?
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

This reminds me of something that happened to me at work like 5 years ago or so.  I'm pretty sure I started a Languish thread about it, too.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on July 22, 2009, 02:44:40 AM
It was a message - I am watching you.  I hope she forgets about my existance and never, ever contacts me again.  Though I remember wishing for the same thing when her predecessor came. 

Doh!  Keep your head down pal.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."