News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Euro 2021 Languish Pickem Pool

Started by Liep, June 10, 2021, 03:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on June 13, 2021, 12:34:17 AM
How did so many of you know the Swiss were going to tie the Welsh?

Gareth Bale plus Euro 2016 memories. Somewhat lucky tie for Wales though.

PS: for clarity

Josquius

I guess if I was thinking about this then recognising group games are always draws would have been the thing to do. Don't think I noticed that option till I was nearly done.
██████
██████
██████

Agelastus

In my case it was a difficult to pick between the two sides for quality and a memory (that may possibly be inaccurate) of a period when Switzerland seemed to get nothing but draws in qualifying.

Not memories of Euro 2016 in my case as far as I am aware.

Edit: Basically I am biased towards considering any game the Swiss play to be a draw against opposition of what I think to be roughly the same level.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

FunkMonk

I picked the Swiss to win but they're always meh. Wales have an aging Aaron Ramsey and a lazy Gareth Bale and that's it though so I figured the Swiss would nick an extra goal.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Agelastus on June 13, 2021, 03:10:12 AM

In my case it was a difficult to pick between the two sides for quality and a memory (that may possibly be inaccurate) of a period when Switzerland seemed to get nothing but draws in qualifying.

Not memories of Euro 2016 in my case as far as I am aware.

Edit: Basically I am biased towards considering any game the Swiss play to be a draw against opposition of what I think to be roughly the same level.

Accurate memory of 10+ years ago. Now Switzerland plays more attack football.

Josephus

Quote from: Tyr on June 13, 2021, 03:01:42 AM
I guess if I was thinking about this then recognising group games are always draws would have been the thing to do. Don't think I noticed that option till I was nearly done.

Your picks are not set in stone. You can go back and change any of them until the game starts.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

1st Swiss games in group play are draws. Even if Duque says they play more attack football.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 13, 2021, 08:38:55 AM
1st Swiss games in group play are draws. Even if Duque says they play more attack football.

Footix 1er a parlé !  :lol:

Switzerland won 1-0 against Albania during the last Euro and were denied penalties vs France (home advantage) in the last game of the group.

Last world cup, they tied with Brazil and won vs Serbia. Draw vs Costa Rica as well.

So take Grey Fox's ice hockey knowledge with a grain of salt.  :P

Grey Fox

#facts

:lol:

I don't think I have participated in a international hockey pool.

I just do poorly informed picks in soccer and basketball.

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on June 12, 2021, 07:11:40 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 12, 2021, 05:18:19 PM
I'm not last!  :w00t:

Sheilbh didn't make any picks :P

I was on holiday and signed up on my phone - but that site is a nightmare on a phone. So I went for a walk instead :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 13, 2021, 06:24:24 PM
Quote from: HVC on June 12, 2021, 07:11:40 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 12, 2021, 05:18:19 PM
I'm not last!  :w00t:

Sheilbh didn't make any picks :P

I was on holiday and signed up on my phone - but that site is a nightmare on a phone. So I went for a walk instead :P

:thumbsdown:

Wimp

Valmy

You can still pick the matches that haven't been played Sheilbh...I think anyway.

I was feeling like a football picking genius after the last few matches until I saw almost everyone picked them right.

If I ever gamble for real I am using Grey Fox as my magic eightball.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Law of averages will eventually catch me. Some of my choices are bold.

Liep

Yi is the only one who picked Slovakia. :o
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

HVC

Now Yi can celebrate not being in last place :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.